[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I just finished reading this. Was it good? It was voted #11 best

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: images-6.jpg (22KB, 373x582px) Image search: [Google]
images-6.jpg
22KB, 373x582px
I just finished reading this. Was it good? It was voted #11 best nonfiction by Modern Library, and I'm interested in biology/medicine.
>>
Why don't you tell us what you thought of it?
>>
>>8808939
I don't form my own opinions, as I'm above it. The life I spend here on the world is a Planck's length compared to the age of Existence itself. Any kind of thought or idea is insignificant in that comparison, and but so I feel it's worthless for me to have any of my own. It's inherently a waste of time.
>>
>>8808927

I'm not interested in biology.medicine at all. Would this book change my mind?
>>
>>8808963
How does this sound to you?
>A collection of 29 essays written by Lewis Thomas for the New England Journal of Medicine between 1971 and 1973. Throughout his essays, Thomas touches on subjects as various as biology, anthropology, medicine, music (showing a particular affinity for Bach), etymology, mass communication, and computers. The pieces resonate with the underlying theme of the interconnected nature of Earth and all living things.

Another book I'd recommend to get into biology is Darwin's Ghost.
>Charles Darwin's The Origin of Species is probably the best-known, least-read book. One of the most important achievements of the past millennium, it did for biology what Galileo did for astronomy: made it into a single science rather than a collection of unrelated facts. Important though Origin remains, its examples and intricate Victorian prose are now a century and a half old. They are ripe for renewal and reaffirmation. Writing as "Darwin's ghost," eminent geneticist Steve Jones updates this seminal work—and restates evolution's case for the 21st century.

They're both great science books if you're a literary person.
>>
>>8809016
>Writing as "Darwin's ghost,"

Should I start submitting letters as like Hitchen's ghost or angel or something to newspapers?
>>
>>8809035
Only if you're an actual scientist. Jones is a professor of genetics and has won medals.
>>
>>8809118
Can they be medals in anything or do they also have to be on science? Do the fields medal or the economics one count as science?
>>
>>8809122
You need a medal relating to science to distinguish yourself from the pop scientists. Both math and economics are sciences, so yes. That is the criteria for me reading your work.
>>
>>8808961

>_<
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.