[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>yfw people think Schopenhauer was pro-suicide >yfw people

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

File: Picture_of_Schopenhauer.jpg (2MB, 1000x1297px) Image search: [Google]
Picture_of_Schopenhauer.jpg
2MB, 1000x1297px
>yfw people think Schopenhauer was pro-suicide
>yfw people don't even know about Schopenhauerian asceticism
>yfw people think On Women is at all compatible with Schopenhauer's ethics
>yfw people that don't even understand the transcendental aesthetic try to read German Idealism
>>
>>8807982
I've only read 'On Women' and it seriously changed my life. He's probably the greatest philosopher I'll ever have the privilege to read. Fucking based
>>
>>8807982
Where should I start with Schopenhauer OP?
>>
>>8808167
His collection of Essays then the World as Will and Idea.
>>
>>8808167
Prolly a biography, then >>8808179
>>
>>8808167
>>
>>8808167
His dissertation and then The World as Will and Representation

>>8808179
His essays were written very late, and are (as the name of their collection says) ornaments and tangents of his main philosophical ideas in The World as Will and Representation. There's juicy stuff in there but it will leave you with an exaggerated view of Schopenhauer's pessimism.

The World as Will and Idea is a terrible translation. Its title has dangerous implications for Schopenhauer's work. Read the Payne or the new Cambridge edition instead.
>>
>>8808167
Critique of pure reason
>>
>>8807986
It's nothing but baseless /pol/tard opinions in good prose.

>muh all women are childish and mean by nature we must control them they're so stupid :'(

Were there any decent philosophers that didn't senselessly hate women other than Plato?
>>
>>8807982
Could you explain why On Women is not compatible with his ethics?
>>
>>8808540
In Schopenhauer's world the true reality is one of pure suffering, or a universal Will. People and even things are merely gradations of this blindly striving, infinitely hungry force that manifests itself in our representations. In this way all things are connected, and Schopenhauer is able to ground an atheistic ethic of compassion on the fact that when we feel sympathy, it is because we acknowledge the connectivity of one Will binding everything in the world together.

There is no difference between the perpetrator and the victim within this view. The source of all guilt and repentance for Schopenhauer is the emotional leap from individual being to universal being, and the greatest characteristic manifestation of this movement from individuality to universality is in sainthood (Schopenhauer actually draws from two female writers, Madame de Polier and Madame de Guyon, in order to describe this saintliness). The saint is always morally conscious, and as he denies his own will he also treats the rest of the world with undiscriminating empathy and service.

On Women is an essay stuck in the individual sphere, without compassion or acknowledgment of the universal. It's an essay that is strangely fixed within the veil of Maya, a conceit that Schopenhauer believes can be peeled back to reveal interconnectedness and therefore the triviality of all individuation, presumably including that of the Will's manifestations in sex.
>>
>>8808224
This is SUCH a good introduction to Schopenhauer. If all philosophy had such a fantastic introductory text then life would be so much easier.

Magee covers all the necessary pre-requisites with enough detail and concision to be helpful to understanding what Schopie was about. Then then he's thorough in covering Schopie's own stuff in an engaging narrative style. Honestly can't recommend it more.
>>
Kantbot plz go
>>
>>8808315
Machiavelli if you consider him a philosopher. Joseph Smith loved women as well.He had like 30 wifes
>>
>>8807982
Don't you mean mfw?
>>
>>8808315
>butthurt
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.