[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>book about how depression is just massive narcissism and

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

File: download.jpg (4KB, 110x177px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
4KB, 110x177px
>book about how depression is just massive narcissism and a pitfall of self wallow
>People still somehow use it to justify being assholes because they are "depressed"

For what reason?
>>
Are you depressed or a psychiatry/psychology major?
>>
That's not what the book is about. Please read Plato and then re-read Notes.
>>
>>8807576
Because they don't realize yet that they are nothing and nothing is everything and it's beautiful and they take their suffering caused by themselves out on everyone else around them.
>>
>>8807576
The Underground Man did nothing wrong
>>
Depression is not rational. Philosophical depression is not the same as clinical, even if they go hand in hand sometimes.
>>
Oh man not another of you 'why don't depressed people just cheer up and stop being assholes' types.

Clinical depression is literally a chemical/hormonal imbalance in the brain that leaves you quite literally unable to experience the sensation of happiness.
>>
>>8808254
>chemical/hormonal imbalance in the brain that leaves you quite literally unable to experience the sensation of happiness

You're mixing up cause and effect here.
>>
>>8807598
>Plato

That's not how you spell Nietzsche
>>
>>8808254
>muh positivism
Why don't you just rearrange the atoms in your head to be a brain dead retard only capable of experiencing happiness? Not much of a queue for that, huh.
>>
>>8808266
>Not much of a queue for that, huh.
The top anti-depressant based on revenue in the US alone in 2012, Cymbalta, generated 40 billion dollars. The queue is massive.
>>
>>8808258
elaborate, my little angel. I'm genuinely curious and really fluid in my stances on literally everything.
>>
>>8807576
Not being depressed is for irrational cucks. Depression is for women. Superior gentlemen have dysthymia.
>>
>>8808299

Feeling sad causes the chemical imbalances. And so getting yourself to feel heppy will fix it. The wide success of cognitive behavioral therapy is proof of this.
>>
File: 1479399859021.png (155KB, 301x313px) Image search: [Google]
1479399859021.png
155KB, 301x313px
>>8808254
>>8807598
>thing I ever wrote. It's about narcissism, which is a part of depression. The character has traits of myself. I really lost friends while writing on that story, I became ugly and unhappy and just yelled at people. The cruel thing with depression is that it's such a self-centered illness - Dostoevsky shows that pretty good in his "Notes from Underground". The depression is painful, you're sapped/consumed by yourself; the worse the depression, the more you just think about yourself and the stranger and repellent you appear to others.

What did David Foster Wallace mean by this?
>>
>>8808319
To be depressed is not to "feel sad". Cognitive behavioral therapy has been producing good results; but you are oversimplifying it greatly.
>>
>>8808263

Nah, I mean Plato, and more specifically his Apology. Dostoevsky responds to Plato's Socrates throughout his novels.
>>
File: rita.jpg (337KB, 1330x1600px) Image search: [Google]
rita.jpg
337KB, 1330x1600px
>>8808266
>>muh positivism
Who is to say one configuration of atoms is superior to another? My misery is profoundly valid to me.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.