[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

This is /lit/'s embodiment. Also, discuss how Dunces is

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

File: 1231328949_0.jpg (59KB, 300x320px) Image search: [Google]
1231328949_0.jpg
59KB, 300x320px
This is /lit/'s embodiment.
Also, discuss how Dunces is the greatest US novel.
>>
The worms and stuff were cool, but I don't get why somebody has to be ritualistically killed every three pages with a knife.
>>
>>8804537
To satisfy Abaddon's hunger, obviously.
>>
>>8804534
it's not the greatest US novel. it belongs in a reader's digest volume.
>>
>>8804549
It's one of the highest pieces of literature ever produced in the US. The depiction of the New Orleans society of the time and the delicious irony that pervades every page are superior to most of what US literature has to offer.
>>
>>8804558
you know what? i'm going to let you believe that. what harm could it do that you think a sub-oblomovian dogfucker is the greatest american lit character in existence? none at all, I suppose.
>>
>>8804587
Who said the character itself was great? Reading comprehension, mate.

You say "the greatest american lit character" like that was saying a lot.
>>
I liked the knife fighting Mardi Gras krewes
>>
>>8804558
>highest pieces of literature

Not really. However, it is a grand, ribald farce. A number of scenes are "laugh out loud" funny. And you're right in that it skewers a number of sub-cultures and types of people existing at that time.

High literature? No.
>>
>>8804591
>backtracking already
at least hold up your love for your dogfucking fatass, okay?
>>
>>8804611
What does it lack that prevents it from being high literature? It seems like american "high literature" tends to lack self-awareness.
>>
>>8804612
Not really, what I meant is that the book is better than the character itself. Still a wonderful character.
>>
>>8804663
i'm very happy for you! i sure hope some day you can read! : )
>>
>>8804534
Have you read many other American novels?
>>
>>8804637
>why isn't it high literature

Here's an example. Take Faulkner, another american regional writer. He explored and exposed his characters' psychology and motivations to a much greater depth that revealed universal aspects of humanity in general. Furthermore, he experimented with new stylistic devices effectively. His plot development was much more extensive and involved.

As I said before, Confederacy of Dunces is a great read. Highly enjoyable. But it just can't be placed on the level of the best literature America has produced.
>>
>>8804534
When I started browsing /fit/ a lot of people talked about squats and oats, so I ate oats and I squatted often. Now I am in good shape and have a nice body.

When I tarted browsing /mu/ a lot of people talked about Deafheaven, so I gave them a listen and my taste in music broadened. Now I have a massive library of music that I really enjoy.

When I started browsing /lit/ a lot of people talked about Confederacy of Dunces. I read it and thought it was hilarious, so I started reading more books /lit/ folk recommended. Now I have a bookshelf full of novels that have given me a unique perspective on life.

Thanks 4chan!
>>
>>8805520
you sound like a swell person. :D i'm glad 4chan has been so successful for your interests and wellbeing, i do hope that your joy spreads to others and we can all share in your healthy self esteem!
>>
>>8805537
Next episode I'll talk about what /pol/ and /gif/ did to me
>>
>>8804687
you are one assmad yuro
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.