[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Ok, I thinks it's a better board than /tv/ to ask my question,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: 9780195321050.jpg (17KB, 180x258px) Image search: [Google]
9780195321050.jpg
17KB, 180x258px
Ok, I thinks it's a better board than /tv/ to ask my question, so:
I'm kinda interested in movies, but I have a problem with talking about them, analyzing and forming my own opinion. I can tell what is the main theme of the movie but I can't point out less obvious things in discussion even though I'm aware of them.
So my question is, is this book gonna help me or the only solution is to watch more movies?
>>
Watch more films is probably the right answer...

But of course don't expect to gain understanding on a medium automatically, you'll have to analyze it deeply and start paying a lot of attention

You could even sign to film school but if its not your goal to make films i wouldnt recommend that route
>>
>>8802847
I haven't read the book, but I assume that a widely approved work on film analysis will improve your ability to analyze films. You can also head over to r/truefilm to lurk and practice your movie criticism. I am sending you to r/truefilm because as we all know /tv/ is useless.
>>
>>8802847
You can also check out some of the movie criticism by /lit/ authors such as Zizek and Deleuze. Zizek has a ton of stuff on Hitchcock and Deleuze has two works called "Cinema." Also check out Zizek's Pervet's Guide to Cinema. It has some great stuff if you can put up with his terrible accent.
>>
>>8802856
I watched around 900 films by now and in the past year I got slightly better at analyzing but I still can't really form my own opinion without reading some articles about a film I had seen. I made one film in my life but it was shite desu senpai. I don't have a time for another school anyway so I think I'm gonna pick up a book. Subject is interesting and this book is in /lit/ core so I think it won't be a drag for me to read it.
>>8802861
Is it full of reddit humour? If there is a fucking pun in every post I'm afraid I can't stand it but I'm gonna check it
>>
Watching more movies isn't going to help you learn how to talk about them.

It's better to know film terminology and then dissect movies you already love to see what makes them work. Then, do the same for some classic movies (i.e. movies highly regarded and held up over the years).

When you begin to understand the form and language of a movie, then it's much easier to talk about the various things that tend to enamor newbies (mainly subtext, but also structural comparisons).
>>
>>8802872
>>8802847

Try taking notes when watching a film. Re-watch them especially if you aren't already doing that.
>>
>>8802881
I only rewatch my personal favorites, in other cases it seems like an unpleasant waste of time. Well, taking notes is a great idea, I'll do that today
>>
>>8802872
just try to stay away from the comment section and you should be good
>>
>>8802847
>So my question is, is this book gonna help me or the only solution is to watch more movies?- 8 posts shown.
DESU I found taking film courses at school, and the discussion that came with them, to be extremely helpful
also, unironically engaging in discussion on /tv/ made me a better arguer and thus a better critical thinker
watching more movies and engaging in more discussion is the most part. Even readings themselves, which I read plenty of in courses, really only changed/enlightened my perspective after a lecture or discussion to go along with them
>>
I took a film class as an elective in HS on a whim and loved it so much that when I got a chance to take another in college a few semesters ago I took it immediately. There's so much to dissect in a movie because of how much is going on (visuals, sound design, writing, and the more "meta" aspects of framing, cinematography, directorial choices, etc).

What this anon said >>8802874
>It's better to know film terminology and then dissect movies
Is probably the way I would go about it now, and the way the class I took went about it.

Learn film terminology, process, techniques, etc. and then go back and watch for those specific things in films (as a beginner it may be better to do this with movies you've already seen, so that you don't have to pay attention to the plot too much). Eventually you'll be able to combine all of these points, plus plot and dialog, and understand movies much better.

Also, it really helps to find people - preferably knowledgeable ones - to discus things with. It's a good way to learn.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.