[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What do you think about Lovecraft's prose and writing? I

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4

What do you think about Lovecraft's prose and writing?
I usually see him bashed here with memes over his style, and I don't really understand why.
Sure, you can dislike his characteristic "inability to describe the indescribable", but that's kind of his point, and it works as he succeeds very well in portraying this human helplessness in front of the unknown. Not to say that he does describe actual things in an extremely vivid way and has great imagery.
When I read his work I feel like every sentence was well thought upon before being put specifically there in its specific form. And you just pass over pages of aesthetically crafted sentences.
When I read stories like The Color Out of Space, for example, it's impressive to see his manner of being able to stay at the same high level of writing from start to finish.
>>
>>8799177
As many prolific authors he gets bashed here becuase people here dont actually read so they cant have a well formed opinion on his work.
>>
>>8799177
>When I read his work I feel like every sentence was well thought upon before being put specifically there in its specific form.

This is exactly why I like listening to audiobook versions of his stories. Librivox has a lot of them. I recommend the reanimator and it is that story which gave Batman the Arkham asylum.

When you are writing stories that involve leading a reader's imagination in certain directions at certain times to create suspense and mental imagery then you find that Lovecraft's style is superb.
>>
>>8799177
Lovecraft represents this bleak turn of the century zeitgeist, borne from the poets of decadence, occultism, the birth pangs of globalization and deterritorialization, killer machines, futurism, etc. I feel that sort of aesthetic has been making a huge comeback, think Nick Land, Vaporwave, Anime, post-cyberpunk, the rebirth of both Marxism and fascism. It's all got an early 20th century ring to it.
>>
>>8799177
People here bash him because his works don't give them enough intellectual capital to throw around. You have to remember that this board is full of people who treat prolific writers as commodities and not as artists. Lovecraft is great at exploring the themes that most interested him, and most of his stories are amply enjoyable.
>>
>>8799177

He has genuine (and sometimes major) flaws in his prose. He may have fans that passionately defend the prose but for the most part people recognize that it's one of his weaker areas and instead focus on the positives.

For what it's worth I agree with most of your positive opinions on his prose. However, I totally understand why others don't like it and so when I'm talking about H.P. with those people I choose to talk about his interesting ideas, grand scope, and cultural influence.
>>
His prose is fucking cancerous, really. It only appeals to Redditors.
>>
I think his imagination far outshone his prose, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. Some of his stuff is brilliant, like In the Mountains of Madness and Charles Dexter Ward, but the latter is a perfect example of his writing not being very good. I remember some major plot holes in Ward.
>>
>>8799231

>vaporwave

Wut?
>>
>I was far from home, and the spell of the eastern sea was upon me. In the twilight I heard it pounding on the rocks, and I knew it lay just over the hill where the twisting willows writhed against the clearing sky and the first stars of evening. And because my fathers had called me to the old town beyond, I pushed on through the shallow, new-fallen snow along the road that soared lonely up to where Aldebaran twinkled among the trees; on toward the very ancient town I had never seen but often dreamed of.

>It was the Yuletide, that men call Christmas though they know in their hearts it is older than Bethlehem and Babylon, older than Memphis and mankind. It was the Yuletide, and I had come at last to the ancient sea town where my people had dwelt and kept festival in the elder time when festival was forbidden; where also they had commanded their sons to keep festival once every century, that the memory of primal secrets might not be forgotten. Mine were an old people, and were old even when this land was settled three hundred years before. And they were strange, because they had come as dark furtive folk from opiate southern gardens of orchids, and spoken another tongue before they learnt the tongue of the blue-eyed fishers. And now they were scattered, and shared only the rituals of mysteries that none living could understand. I was the only one who came back that night to the old fishing town as legend bade, for only the poor and the lonely remember.

>Then beyond the hill's crest I saw Kingsport outspread frostily in the gloaming; snowy Kingsport with its ancient vanes and steeples, ridgepoles and chimney-pots, wharves and small bridges, willow-trees and graveyards; endless labyrinths of steep, narrow, crooked streets, and dizzy church-crowned central peak that time durst not touch; ceaseless mazes of colonial houses piled and scattered at all angles and levels like a child's disordered blocks; antiquity hovering on grey wings over winter-whitened gables and gambrel roofs; fanlights and small-paned windows one by one gleaming out in the cold dusk to join Orion and the archaic stars. And against the rotting wharves the sea pounded; the secretive, immemorial sea out of which the people had come in the elder time.

He's great.
>>
>>8800637
What the fuck is that even supposed to mean?
Do you not know what vaporwave is, or are you confused about why vaporwave is on the other poster's list? Fucking idiot.
>>
>>8799177
>What do you think about Lovecraft's prose and writing?

What prose? He simply can't write. His sentences are full of syntax errors, his grammar is largely inconsistent from one sentence to another, and his expression is both ponderous (despite conveying so little information or actual detail) and redundant.

>memes

Okay. So everyone who disagrees with you is just spouting memes? You're preemptively dismissing counterarguments because this is either a very shitty troll thread, or you simply cannot counter anyone's dislike for Lovecraft without resorting to logical fallacies. Fuck off.
>>
>>8800694
Lovecraft fans, everybody.
>>
File: image.jpg (115KB, 404x507px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
115KB, 404x507px
Here's what I think buddy. Enjoy this meme.
>>
>>8799231
It's no wonder why so many in the object-oriented ontology game are obsessed with him.
>>
>>8800943
This
>>
>>8800668
I read just about all of Lovecraft's stuff a long time ago.

>see greentext blockquote
>read a few words
>think: is this the festival?
>google a phrase
>yep

It always struck me that The Festival was not necessarily his best, but perhaps his best-written story in terms of its prose style.

It is unusually compact for Lovecraft, with a fine weave of words and enveloping atmosphere that is both comfy and creepy, slowly shading creepier and creepier as we drift/float inexorably through a frosty moonlit New England town to our final doom.
>>
File: ms.png (109KB, 420x241px) Image search: [Google]
ms.png
109KB, 420x241px
>>8800694
Vaporwave is cancer.

>>8800943
Straight into the forced and failed meme bin.
>>
>>8800757
This. Also he's shallow and pedantic.

You condescending faggot. Lovecraft is great.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.