[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So there's a lot of books that get called high school level

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

So there's a lot of books that get called high school level reading around here. What books would you consider freshman college - college graduate level literature?
>>
Infinite Jest is freshman faggot core
>>
Freshman:

.Anything by Ayn Rand if it's not read as a literary response to Communism
. Orwell
. Palahniuk
. ASOIAF
. The Prince
. Kierkegaard
. The Republic
. The Oresteia
. Mein Kampf
. Hunter S. Thompson
. Communist Manifesto

All these items have value but I read them in high school and upon arriving at university, found a lot of people talking about these very books. So I'm not saying these books are shit, but they are things you should move beyond by the time you're in grad school or even upper level undergrad.
>>
>>8799028
Literally everything we talk about that ISN'T highschool-tier.
>>8799048
Yeah, sure, but that's not what OP meant.
>>
>>8799285
>Literally everything we talk about that ISN'T highschool-tier.
Okay, well the definition of "highschool-tier" is very arbitrary, so I'm asking people what they as individuals think college level literature means, because I see the high school buzz word thrown around a lot.
>>
>>8799297
Everything we talk about. Because we are college-tier.

High-school tier means "works which are pushed in high school and which highschoolers consequently rave about"; we are mostly in uni, or wish we were, so here we are.
>>
My diary, desu
>>
There's a lot of overlap between late high school and early college

I was observing in an urban district this semester where the kids read several stories from Canterbury Tales and I actually just taught them a lesson on Beowulf.
>>
>>8799327
Nobody learns Beowulf in school senpai.
>>
>>8799425
Well, I did. My English teacher back in the last year of high school assigned it. I'm Scottish, by the way.
>>
>>8799449
Your English teacher is pretty stupid. Beowulf is definitely not a work you can adequately teach withing a secondary framework.

In fairness, being taught a good work by a bad teacher (as your teacher must have been, by simple dint of having to keep to secondary school simplicity) is better than being taught a bad work by a good one. We had to make do with Handmaid's Tale and Nineteen Eighty-Four. At least we got Macbeth.
>>
File: captain cruch christmas.jpg (1013KB, 800x3404px) Image search: [Google]
captain cruch christmas.jpg
1013KB, 800x3404px
>>8799048
>Kierkegaard
>freshman

You haven't read shit about kierkegaard if you're putting it in that list.
The experience of reading Either/Or is not very much different of reading Hegel in terms of complexity.

>The Republic
PLATO.
MOTHERFUCKING PLATO
in the same list as Palahniuk and ASOIAF.

I fucking hate /lit/.
>>
>>8799478
He's right you dumb faggot. I read the Prince, ASoIaF and The Republic when I was thirteen. Loads of other people did similar stuff. I genuinely don't understand why you can't understand this.
>>
>>8799500
You can read Ulysses when you're seven. That doesn't make it "high school tier." You will get pretty much the same of both books.
>>
>>8799513
>I'm not saying these books are shit
Holy shit did you just see the list and blow your load in outrage without reading the rest of his post?

Plus, this is fucking philosophy we're talking about. It's not subtle. It's not meant to be. Your average thirteen year old is going to understand Plato and Machiavelli and Borges, even if they don't understand Joyce or Melville. Which isn't a slight on anyone mentioned, before you sperg out about that.
>>
>>8799478
Sickness Unto Death, Either/Or, and Philosophical Fragments are all very good (Fear and Trembling is okay), but they're not very hard to wrap your mind around. Most people I knew read him before they outgrew the church in order to intellectualize their religious inclinations. Kierkegaard isn't the end all be all of existentialism, but he is a good jumping off point.

We had to read The Republic my senior year. It's essential entry level philosophy, and good foundation for further reading as nearly every philosopher afterward either attacked or praised Socrates in some way, especially where ethics is concerned. It's not dumb, it's where you begin. Just like LOTR is typically what people read before delving into Dragonlance, WoT, etc.

I'm not saying these items aren't worth reading (I hope your whole point isn't to call anything you don't like "freshman lit and stuff you do like complexity only patricians understand), this was just pretty much what freshmen were talking about my first year at University.
>>
>>8799604
Senior year of hs*
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.