[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Learning Greek will definitely give you a much broader understanging

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

Learning Greek will definitely give you a much broader understanging of English etymologies, in particular in science and medicine. The formal aspects of the language, like flexion and syntax will add greatly to your ability to learn modern languages where similar formal elements are used, e.g. German; and you will gain a stronger sense of how to compose undersrandable, effective written and spoken English. But even leaving those things aside, you will open yourself up to the greatest literary banquet the world has ever known. Even taking into account the vast number of Greek texts we've lost, the surviving cannon contains arguably some of the greatest prose and verse ever composed on this little blue marble. These texts aren't just interesting to read, they're often truly soul-enriching, as you develop a deeper understanding of the emotional and psychological elements of humanity that have drven people to act for thousands of years and will continue to do so. I started taking Greek on a whim, and it has doubltlessly been the best decision I ever made.
>>
>>8798620

With the possible exception of the last clause, this is all true
>>
>some of the greatest prose and verse
I have to say that I haven't heard of much greek prose. Any recs?
>>
You can't learn greek, baka
>>
File: 1476690486238.jpg (25KB, 382x417px) Image search: [Google]
1476690486238.jpg
25KB, 382x417px
how to learn how to read the greek?

not modern TURKISH greek btw
>>
File: salve_DYELs.jpg (48KB, 265x500px) Image search: [Google]
salve_DYELs.jpg
48KB, 265x500px
>learning a language of irrelevant pedophiles who wrote some gay ass philosophy when you could be learning latin, a language of the greatest Empire in history, medieval Europe, and Renaissance
>>
>>8798796
Yeah but everyone (worth talking to) had Latin in high school and you don't need to learn a language twice
>>
>>8798752
Plato's The Republic
>>
>>8798796

I love Latin too but there is objectively more great Greek lit than Latin lit.

In Latin, who do you really have besides Cicero, Caesar, Terence, Livy, Sallust, Suetonius, Pliny II, Seneca II, Virgil, Horace, Ovid, Catullus, Propertius, Tibullus, Apuleius, Petronius? I know I'm missing some stuff but that's truly not very much /lit/, it takes up maybe four feet of shelf space and it's mostly Cicero.

Also you miss a lot in Latin not knowing Greek. It is very cool, for example, to compare Theocritus and Virgil's Eclogues, or Plato's Myth of Er and Cicero's Dream of Scipio, or Catullus and Sappho.
>>
>>8798856
You only named Old and Classical Latin writers. There's much more in Late Antique, Medieval, Modern, and New Latin. Latin has much more variety than Ancient Greek.
>>
>>8798922

Yeah I know there's plenty of post-classical stuff that's worth reading but you can say the same thing about Greek. In fact ancient Greek has had much more staying power in the Greek world than Latin has had in the West. There is (I'm told) tons of good stuff from the 19th and 20th centuries written in classical Greek, or something very close to it.

This is a really stupid argument though, either one is good to know depending on what you're interested in, and it's even better to know both.
>>
>>8798922
They wrote in Koine Greek up until roughly the time when Christians stamped out Greek Philosophy. That's not far off from a thousand years of additionally writings beyond what people normally think of when they think of Greek literature.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.