[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Should writers consider the impact their stories might have on

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: 280.jpg (18KB, 280x225px) Image search: [Google]
280.jpg
18KB, 280x225px
Should writers consider the impact their stories might have on the morals of potential readers?

I have some pretty fucked up shit and characters brewing but I'm worried they might give people the wrong idea about things.

I want to write twisted shit but still contribute positively to the world.
>>
Male sadism is fucking boring. It had better not be more LE SUBVERSIVE male sadism.
>>
If you're getting your morals from books then there is probably something wrong with you already

inb4 a million "haha that includes the bible" comments, keep your fedoras sheathed
>>
>>8798270
Many people get their worldview from reddit, that's arguably worse (and these people then consider themselves better informed than the rest)
>>
>>8798206
writing about a thing is not the same as agreeing with that thing
>>
>>8798270
haha that includes the bible
>>
I think about this all the time, but less about morals and more how it might affect the quality of life of other people. I have OCD and sometimes I've just had some fucking bullshit thing that the creator of some piece of fiction put very little thought into, but that tapped into some part of my mind and became rooted as like an obsessional thing that would recur as an intrusive thought constantly for years on end - as well as just the fact that a lot of my obsessions and stuff are based on kind of internalised moralities from fiction people probably didn't put that much stock into when they wrote it. Like cruel and unusual supernatural punishments for measly moral violations, that kind of thing is just entrenched in my consciousness and makes my life a living hell.

The thing is, I want to use a lot of the disturbing stuff that I've kind of faced down when dealing with my OCD, all the morbid intrusive thoughts and anxious trains of thinking that I've had over the years. But I don't want to make anyone else go through that kind of hell. I'd want to write it in such a way that it wouldn't seem more powerful than it is, I'd want people who were susceptible to this kind of thing to be able to recognise that even me, the person who wrote it, realises its just words on a page that have no power. That they're only scary as long as you entertain them in your imagination and that they can't do anything to you. I'd want to avoid all kinds of moralising, because I don't want people's OCD-raddled brains to pick up on like, bad situations in my stories as cause-and-effect things taht they need to start thinking about in real life.

It's interesting. I think about the way fiction affects people a lot, because all the kind of internalised narratives and shit just jump out to the forefront of my mind really obnoxiously.
>>
>>8798270
haha that includes the bible
>>
>>8798306
>implying people know this
>>
>>8798206
Don't even have to read the past the first line, the answer is, and always will be, no.
>>
>>8798483
Don't assume that your readers are retarded.

>>8798206
It depends on the presentation. Through your writing, you show approval or disapproval of a character's actions. Dostoyevsky didn't want people to kill old pawnbrokers and you don't have to ask him directly to know that. (Of course, you can be subtler than him when writing about such stuff. Even in something really fucked up, like American Psycho, you don't see any real advocacy of violence.)
>>
>>8798206
>I have some pretty fucked up shit and characters brewing but I'm worried they might give people the wrong idea about things.
Doesnt really matter cause no one will read your self-published pile of crap
>>
>>8798483
that wasn't the point
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.