[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I don't know when or how to use comma, colon and semicolon.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

File: punctuation.0.0.jpg (40KB, 1080x600px) Image search: [Google]
punctuation.0.0.jpg
40KB, 1080x600px
I don't know when or how to use comma, colon and semicolon.
I think i tend to overuse comma, and have no clue how colon and semicolon are supposed to work.

Request help from you /lit/erati.
>>
Just bee your self; it'll all work out.

Or just google it. There's plenty of expositions of all three that are going to be more accurate than what can be distilled into a shitpost here.
>>
Think of semi-colons as basically periods. They are used to separate two independent clauses, or sentences that are able to stand on their own. An example of a dependent clause is one that lacks a significant subject or action, such as "Because the dog barks." instead of "The dog barks." However, if you're writing a novel, I highly urge you not to use semi-colons and instead opt for periods. They are usually just used when two sentences are more related than usual or directly play off one another; they're not necessary in the slightest :}

Commas on the other hand are more complicated, but just remember that they do not separate independent clauses that can just be split up into two sentences instead. Usually it's the separation of a dependent and independent clause, or interjects a independent clause between two dependents. Honestly if you do use it wrong in writing, people could care less. And finally the part of a sentence that precedes a colon must be an independent clause while the part after can be either.
>>
>>8795660
Your just going too halve to work heart at it; look thee rules up every time yore in doubt and eventually ewe Will bee able to right correctly.
>>
>>8795667
I did google it, but that just confused me even more.

I was thinking asking you guys would give a better answer of contemporary use, and also possibly highlight if there actually is a consensus or not on usage.
>>
then don't use them at all. Some writers dont.
>>
>The purpose of this project is to learn audio programming; how to generate digital sound and how to render sound.

An example from the report i'm to write. Is the semicolon used correctly here then?
>>
>>8795723
No. You also need to capitalize "I" even if it is not at the start of a sentence. You've missed it in both this post and your OP.
>>
>>8795751
>No.
Why not?
>>
>>8795836
A semicolon connects two independent clauses. The phrase "how to generate digital sound and how to render sound" does not form a proper sentence, so it is not an independent clause. It helps to think of a semicolon as a way to connect two separate sentences that are related strongly enough that they should be presented together.
>>
>>8795660
>he can't detect the musicality of his own thoughts
>>he can't notate this natural rhythm typographically
>>>he calls himself a writer
>>
>>8795893
I should use a colon then?

Why would i need to connect two separate sentences? Isn't that what a paragraph does?
Either they're separate, or they're not.

>>8795902
I just want my technical reports to be clear and readable.
>>
>>8795939
A colon would work.
>>
>>8795939
>Either they're separate, or they're not.
Stylistic choice rather than necessity; separate but directly related ideas that flow from one another can be merged with a semicolon.
>>
>>8795667
>>8795685
>>8795696
>>8795893
>>8795949
>>8795951
I think i get it. Thanks.

I'm just left with the difficulty of detecting when a phrase is selfcontained enough to form a proper sentence on its own. Which sounds like it should be trivial, but is apparently not, in my case.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.