[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm interested in books and authors interested in the death

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

File: image.jpg (40KB, 750x1334px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
40KB, 750x1334px
I'm interested in books and authors interested in the death drive, or the base human unconscious yearning toward annihilation. The examples I know of include Yukio Mishima, Georges Bataille, Kobo Abe, Marquis de Sade. Looking for recommendations for authors with similar sensibilities. Thanks in advance
>>
>>8795133
freud obv
>you've read this

nick land, the thirst for annihilation
>you've probably read this

schopenhauer
>patrician af despair

antinatalism: cioran, ligotti
>i find it meh but w/evs

blood meridian
>p much a maymay at this point but still

lovecraft
>more the criticism of him

spec-real philosophy: brassier, meillasoux, harman
>it's ok

warhammer 40k exterminatus pulp memedrek litfap
>mah_nigga.jpg
>>
Gravity's Rainbow. No that's not a meme, it's a huge theme to the point that characters fetishize V2 rockets (which in turn represent the proto-atomic bomb)
>>
>>8795604
Oh, and I mean fetishize in a literal sense.
>>
>>8795133
End zone
Great jones street
>>
>>8795133
>the base human unconscious yearning toward annihilation.
I like counter-intuitive undisprovable theories that not only have no useful application, but when applied actually rob you of a more nuanced understanding of the psyche, too.
>>
>>8796014
it makes sense to me anon. Its applications are in art
>>
>>8796014
Give us a better theory then, captain autismo
>>
>>8796028
What's the most convincing book you've read that prominently features the death drive, I'm curious? It being impossible to disprove, perhaps I could be convinced to join you.
>>
>>8796041
Okay, sure. Self loathing and self destructive behavior stems from a paradox between ideology and egoism. There is no inherent drive towards death.
>>
>>8796052
I'm not much interested in any rigorous proof of anything. It's an idea about human behavior that makes sense to me insofar as it describes a lot of my own urges and impulses. Perhaps it's not even universal to all people, but I feel it's pertinent to my own behaviors. A couple of examples in literature that I've enjoyed in particular are The Story of the Eye and The Sailor who fell from Grace with the Sea. The reason I started the thread was to find recommendations along a similar vein, as I've only read a few books that describe this feeling in such a way
>>
>>8796080
>Self-loathing and self-destructive behavior

That's not what I'm talking about or looking for
>>
>>8796014
ITT: a retard thinks there's only one appropriate model for human behaviour and doesn't understand linguistics
>>
>>8796098
So if I was arguing that the death drive didn't exist, what behaviors would you like me to explain? What behaviors are inherently evidence of this so called subconscious desire to annihilation, if not self destruction?
>>
>>8796112
ITT: a pseud resorts to ad homs and vague claims of linguistic misunderstanding to justify a critique of their beliefs that, by definition, doesn't necessarily rule out their beliefs.
>>
>>8796113
Erotic activity; the ideal of spectacular, explosive death; the murderous impulse. It's not so much a drive toward death explicitly, but the drive to extend oneself into infinity not subject to time or the ego, which is analagous to annihilation or nonexistence and not necessarily the cessation of existence which is what the word death no doubt implies. Foucault and Nietzsche can explain it better than me, but like I said I'm not particularly interested in arguing whether or not it 'exists,' whatever that even means. It's a model of behavior that makes sense to me, there may be alternative models that feel more accurate to others
>>
>>8796143
Okay that makes infinitely more sense than the Freudian term I'm familiar with that is in opposition to the sex drive, and is a literal instinct towards death. Sorry for the misunderstanding.
>>
>>8796179
I probably fucked up by referring to it as 'death drive' initially, which you're right is a strictly Freudian term and not really what I was looking for. It was probably floating in the periphery of my mind and I misused it. But yeah it's tricky to explain what I'm looking for, I want to say 'something similar to Story of the Eye', but I know that wouldn't be a good description for requests, so I tried to explain it with my shitty vocabulary lol
>>
>>8795133
Albert Caraco (committed suicide), Drieu La Rochelle (committed suicide), Cioran (no suicide)
>>
File: mars_wallpaper.png (164KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
mars_wallpaper.png
164KB, 1920x1080px
>>8795133
Turned this into a wallpaper if anyone is interested
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.