[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/lit/ if i wanted to do a comparative study on TCL49 what other

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 1

File: 2794.jpg (31KB, 315x475px) Image search: [Google]
2794.jpg
31KB, 315x475px
/lit/ if i wanted to do a comparative study on TCL49 what other book should i choose?
>>
>>8794260
Oh just choose any old book, you'll die after long enough either way
>>
>>8794265
> >:(
>>
>>8794260
Alice in Wonderland, yes seriously, think about it
>>
>>8794279
holy fuck...
>>
>>8794279
Terrible advice. Compare it, OP, to Moby Dick. It's American but also about transit-space, + it's also about the meaningless of the pursuit of essence.

Kisses xx,

Anon
>>
>>8794293
*meaninglessness
>>
>>8794293
not going to read about a guys borderline fetishistic obsession with whales
>>
>>8794301
Just read the wikipedia, idiot.
>>
Trace out The Crying of Lot 49 -> Pattern Recognition -> Bleeding Edge.
>>
>>8794351
Can only do 2 books + Prof has done a comparison of TCOL49 + Bleeding edge
>>
my diary desu
>>
>>8794367
pls send me a transcript
>>
>>8794373
entry(1) = "I woke up, and that's how this day was ruined."
entry(n) where n > 1 = entry(1)
>>
>>8794355
Then do the Pattern Recognition part.
>>
Foucault's Pendulum
>>
>>8794572

That's actually a pretty good comparison. I read both of these within the last year.
>>
>>8794624
You shouldn't be comparing texts with identical themes and identical executions. Moby Dick is the best response. You could chart the whole course of modernism with that; how it kind of starts with Moby Dick and ends around the publication of TCoL49. Bring in some Virginia Woolf in the middle and wax on about God and the confrontation of his absence and Nietzsche and how the process of this-waxing on led to the necessity of works like Pynchon's. Or something.
>>
The Mahabharata, seeing as the coat scene is a direct reference to it. note how karma and the general forces connecting the events in the two works happen, and also compare visual metaphors like the streams of garments match Pynchon's reference to the weaving fates.
>>
>>8794624

I'm not op, I was just seconding the other anon's recommendation.

I think a good comparison between the two is in how they approach the reader's relationship to the conspiracies. In TCOL49 the reader is put in the main character's headspace and experiences the paranoia firsthand. Maas gets sucked into this world of conspiracies and we want to investigate it with her.

In FP, by contrast, the reader, like the main character, is kept at a distance from the conspiracies. We and they know it's all fake but don't realize until the end what damage has been done. It's known in advance that everyone has apophenia but we choose to go along anyways not knowing the consequences.

The books demonstrate the similarities and differences between "true believers" and cynical observers (both within each book and between the two).
>>
>>8794641

sorry, I meant to respond to you in >>8794713
>>
>>8794260
The Process of Kafka.
>>
>>8794260

compare it to simulation and simulacra
>>
>>8794293
>it's also about the meaningless of the pursuit of essence

If anything Lot 49 is about how essential the pursuit is
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.