[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So, i bought a Kindle, downloaded everything from lovecraft and

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: Cthulhu.jpg (80KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
Cthulhu.jpg
80KB, 800x600px
So, i bought a Kindle, downloaded everything from lovecraft and now i don't know where to go. Can you reccomend me the best occult/horror/mystery books you know. Anything with a sense of a bigger darker meaning goes too.
>>
File: LOL.png (477KB, 560x500px) Image search: [Google]
LOL.png
477KB, 560x500px
>>8792554
>i bought a Kindle
>>
>>8792560
Got tired of spending money on books, now i can download everything for free.
>>
>>8792554
Because Lovecraft's work is almost entirely short stories I'd recommend other collections that are considered essential horror reading.

>Edgar Allan Poe's works
Lovecraft idolized the man and his best tales give a real horrific face to insanity, still worth to read him because he shaped as many people as HPL has.

>M.R. James' Ghost Stories of an Antiquary
He's considered to have perfected the classical ghost story. Perfectly marries the familiar and the horrific, great for this time of year.

>Thomas Ligotti's Songs for a Dead Dreamer or Grimscribe: His lives and works
Very cerebral horror, his stuff is dense and he goes on musings over philosophy, the metaphysical and his dark creations. Hailed as a genius by many a established author.

>Clive Barker's Books of Blood
Supposedly game changing by the time it came out. Haven't finished it but I can say that Barker writes with lots of style, pretty much grabbing your from the get go. It's cited countless times as a masterpiece so might as well check it out.
>>
>>8792628
Thanks a lot man, that'sounds a really quality reply. Will check everything out, Thomas Ligotti sounds really interesting
>>
>>8792644
Fucking autocorrect.

*that's
*seems
>>
the king in yellow
also search lovecraft contemporaries (i cant remember their names)
>>
>>8792554
>downloaded everything from lovecraft

I'm so sorry.
>>
>>8792644
He totally is because despite being dense stuff the man has a really eloquent narrative voice. You might not have a clue of what he is saying but his words will grab you regardless.

If you want something more in the vein of Lovecraft check out Clark Ashton Smith, personal friend of Lovecraft and writer of some great tales too. There's also Laird Barron who is pretty much the poster boy for modern "weird fiction" and has even been called the new Lovecraft. I don't think his stuff is THAT good but you might like it.

>>8792651
This too, although just the first four stories, the rest is romantic drivel.
>>
>>8792554
I suggest starting from the shorter stories and lead yourself up to the big stuff. Or follow the dream Cycle.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dream_Cycle

I would start with

Dagon
Ex Oblivione
The White Ship
The Cats of Ulthar
Nyarlathopet
The Nameless City
The Other Gods
Cool Air
The thing at the door step
The Tomb

Then move on to the big works

The Call of Cthulhu
The Dream Quest for Unknown Kadath
At the Mountains of Madness.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aaKDuCgPTws
>>
>>8792628
>Ghost Stories of an Antiquary
why not just all of his stories? the collection that has them all is pretty slender and just about the same in price as buying ghost stories of an antiquary.
>>
>>8792554
>downloaded everything from lovecraft and now i don't know where to go
You could start by reading what you've downloaded.
>>
>>8793723
collecting books without reading is the /lit/ way
>>
>>8793789
/lit/ needs to stop confusing the purchasing of books with the appropriation of their contents.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.