[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

As 2016 draws to an end, what has been the best book you've

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2

File: 345858._UY475_SS475_.jpg (44KB, 475x475px) Image search: [Google]
345858._UY475_SS475_.jpg
44KB, 475x475px
As 2016 draws to an end, what has been the best book you've read this year? How many books are you trying to read?

For me it's either Blanning's The Pursuit of Glory, amazingly insightful non-fiction about Europe's move from the royal state to the nation state, or Carver's What We Talk About When We Talk About Love, which most people here know already.

What about you?
>>
I've read an awful lot of Hamsun's work this year. My favourites being Growth of the Soil and Victoria.
To the Lighthouse has also been one of the most memorable reads of the year for me.
>>
>>8790331
Did you read Hunger? I particularly enjoyed that one - I haven't tried Victoria yet, will have to give that one a try.
>>
>>8790339
Yes, but I didn't like it as much as his later work. Really potent as far as characterization goes, and I can see the enormous influence it must have had to modernist writers after him, but his prose is really not at his brightest in Hunger.
Victoria is really short, heart-wrenching and profoundly lyrical. It's one of the few books that has made me literally cry halfway in. Definetly recommend it, even more when you can read it in an afternoon.
>>
File: 92103.jpg (375KB, 500x714px) Image search: [Google]
92103.jpg
375KB, 500x714px
>>8790327
That looks like a good book. I think I will look for it at the library.

The best book I read this year was 100 Years of Solitude. His characters were so lifelike yet capable of becoming fantastic which really drew me in. I read the book over the course of a day and by the end I could feel the whirlwind tearing down the fantasy world and bringing me back to the start of the story and my own reality.
>>
Labyrinths by Borges
>>
>>8790327
Ulysses for fiction, and Northmen by John Haywood for non-fiction.
>>
>>8790327
I just finished my 98th an hour ago. Going for the triple digits. The best was probably "the origin of consciousness and the breakdown of the bicameral mind" by Julian Jayness
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.