[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm taking a class next semester on James Joyce, and the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

File: imgres.jpg (7KB, 222x227px) Image search: [Google]
imgres.jpg
7KB, 222x227px
I'm taking a class next semester on James Joyce, and the plan is to read all of Dubliners, Portrait, and Ulysses by the end. I've never read Joyce. What am I in for? Is it even possible to read all of those books in one semester?
>>
>>8786500
>wondering if you can read three books in a semester
Your degree must not be literature related at all.
>>
>>8786532
Of fucking course it is. The thing is that I hear all three of those books are extremely dense and require a lot of time and effort to get a full sense of their brilliance. My question, more specifically, was: is it possible, in a semester, to fully grasp all of these books, without skimming, half assing, etc.
>>
>>8786645
>Read the books
>Read the critics
>Read the Joyce fanatics for some less popular interpretations
A month, tops, of extensive reading and you too can boast having read and understood Joyce among your elitist friends.
>>
>>8786500
You can read them in a couple days
>>
Ulysses is dense but definitely doable in a semester.

Dubliners is extremely straightforward (just depressing little stories about family) which just requires a few footnotes about Irish politics and that's it. This is probably the easiest one to get through.

Portrait can be easy or complex depending on how deep you want to get into it. Really it's just a story about a kid at school, there's nothing extremely dense about it, just some symbols/allegories.

The only Joyce that takes ages (and can never be fully parsed by anyone) is Finnegans Wake
>>
>>8786500
It's possible. Thought tbqh you could spend a semester on portrait and several years on Ulysses. Dubliner are a perfection of english style imo. In any case you are in for the greatest literary genius to ever live.
>>
are you at uccs by any chance?
>>
Dubliners and Portrait are great, but can be handled by intro students. Ulysses is more dense, but likely you will be spending a class on each chapter, which would take nine weeks in a class which meets twice a week.

Three weeks for basics and Dubliners, two weeks for Portrait, nine for Ulysses. Standard 14-week semester.
>>
Anon, I took a class exactly like this one (read Dubliners, Portrait and Ulysses in one semester) and it was plenty of time to dig into and fully appreciate all of the texts. My only advice is prepare your anus bc Ulysses is going to blow your fucking mind wide open and you're going to become the biggest, most obnoxious Joyceboy for at least the semester if not the following summer.
>>
>>8786500

Ulysses requires a full semester's study.
>>
>>8786834
This. I dont know why Dubliners gets hyped up as such a dense read. Each story's pretty easy to get through. The Ivy Day one is probably the most difficult just because of the politics, but even The Dead is just a story about a guy at a party.

I would assume the bulk of the semesters being spent on Ulysses, probably reading an episode per class, or maybe spending a couple classes on the tougher episodes (Scylla, Circe, Ithaca...)

Reading it quickly will be sick.
>>
>>8787333
The Wordsworth Classics edition has a very good glossary, so you only need to look up some words if English is not your native tongue or you're not used to read works from that time; but Dubliners reads smoothly, the one thing that might be trouble is the Irish-UK politics that pervade most of the stories, but I think you can omit that part if you're not interested in that, there's a lot to get from Dubliners apart from politics.
>>
>>8787333
>even The Dead is just a story about a guy at a party
And Ulysses is just a story about two dudes walking around Dublin. That's not why Dubliners is easy to read.
>>
>>8787549
If you're saying The Dead is as complicated and nuanced as Ulysses Im going to have to disagree with you
>>
>>8787555
What he means is the The Dead is mostly about Gabriel realizing his own mortality and shedding his affected surface to connect with humanity and realize he's never loved or be loved as the dead boy and Gretta have.
"His soul swooned slowly as he heard the snow falling faintly through the universe".

And what you mean is that the story itself is very straightforward and simple, the ulterior meaning is what's complex.
>>
>>8786500
> Is it even possible to read 3 in one semester

>Ulysses
that's a big book
>for you
>>
>>8787555
I am saying that your point (The Dead is fairly simple) is valid, but the logic you used to claim it is silly. Yeah, it's "just a story about a guy at a party," and Ulysses is just a story about dudes walking around Dublin. "Proteus" is just Stephen walking along a beach and seeing a dog piss. It's other factors entirely that make them difficult or easy, having to do with style and form.
>>
File: 1465857601242.jpg (19KB, 305x315px) Image search: [Google]
1465857601242.jpg
19KB, 305x315px
>>8786645
>dubliners
>dense
you overestimate 22 year olds
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.