[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I want to tackle this book. How do I get through the nonlinear

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

I want to tackle this book. How do I get through the nonlinear clusterfuck that the first section apparently is? Is there any good guides out there?
>>
>>8785709
you literally just fucking read it, I don't know why so many people struggle with that concept.
given the facts that 1.Benjy is in fact retarded, and 2. The narrative is fractured and nonlinear, it goes without saying that it isn't a puzzle to be reassembled by the reader. you can vaguely tell what age Benjy is in the narrative jumps by whether or not they pick him up, who's watching over him, the tendencies of his siblings, and other events, but it isn't necessary to rearrange the events because the events themselves aren't important. Focus on the people, their relationships, their actions. It's my favorite chapter of the book, but I think people wrestle with it needlessly. Just accept the fact that it's nonlinear and narrated by a retard and you'll hopefully enjoy it as well.

protip: there's two Quentins, a male and a female. That shit messed me up the first round.
>>
if you stop trying to dissect and rearrange and fully understand the first part you lose whats good about it. Part two is much more difficult than part 1 desu
>>
Both Benjy's and Quentin's sections are going to be rather difficult to read and understand fully the first time around, but you'll get it. It isn't too bad. Just read sparknotes or something along with it if you insist.
>>
>>8785709
other anons are spot on. just keep reading page-by-page. if you don't understand it, don't worry, just continue moving forward. you'll come to understand benji as you progress through the book. faulkner didn't write benji's section intending it to be understood in the first pass.
>>
>>8785755
I have a friend who refuses to start it for this very reason. You've summed up really well what I want to say when we argue about it.
>>
>>8785709
The Sound and the Fury is my favorite novel and unlike works like Ulysses and The Recognitions, for example, it is not full of references or cultural/historical context or anything for which the reader would be well served by a guide of any sort. What TSatF does require is a close reading and patience. Read Benjy's chapter again after reading the entire book once and things will be more clear in that part as well. Do not be overly stressed by the lack of temporal consistency in Benjy's section. It's not exceedingly important. Understand that most of his section deals with memories from childhood and exactly when it happened is as important.

Also, there is action in the present in Benjy's section but it's of little consequence, mainly just a framing device. You know you are in the present when Luster appears. Luster only appears in the present, never memories. There are two Jasons (Benjy's father and brother), two Maurys (Benjy's uncle and Benjy himself before his name is changed) and two Quentins (Benjy's brother and Benjy's niece). This last one is probably the most confusing, because not only is the name the same--the girl Quentin mimics/repeats certain behaviors her of her mother Caddy, Benjy's sister.

The very beginning will be the most difficult of all because Benjy introduces people simply by name without providing any context or relational information. (There are quite a few different black servants). But you'll get the swing of it.

>>8785883
>faulkner didn't write benji's section intending it to be understood in the first pass.

True, but I think in many respects Quentin's chapter is more difficult and I agree with this guy. >>8785779

Of course there are large parts of Quentin's section that are 100% clear and read like a regular novel, but when he gets very introspective and the stream of consciousness kicks in it's very very recondite at times.

Just read it OP, you will do fine and you'll want to read it again after reading it once. The second reading is more enjoyable than the first.
>>
>>8786469
**exactly when it happened ISN'T as important**
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.