[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Anyone else read/reading "The Sellout" by Paul Beatty?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

File: 22237161.jpg (38KB, 317x475px) Image search: [Google]
22237161.jpg
38KB, 317x475px
Anyone else read/reading "The Sellout" by Paul Beatty? It's been hyped a bunch because it's the first book by a US author to win the Booker Prize (arguably not that monumental of an achievement, seeing as until recently the prize was only awarded to writers from Commonwealth countries.) I'm about a third of the way through and it's solid in terms of style and humor if not anything special as far as the larger canon of literary fiction goes.

Feel free to racist shitpost, if I wanted shallow and bitchmade meditations on context and the intersectionality of middle-class wannabe academics and actually oppressed people I'd join a book club; I'd just say if your main problem with the book is that the author is black, you might actually just illegally download it and read the first few pages and see if you don't kinda enjoy it. The main plot as far as I can tell is that a black guy in some fucked-up LA township is on trial for trying to reintroduce slavery and segregation in his neighborhood. It's obviously satirical, but it doesn't come from a place of centrist racial revisionism that I think is most offensive to the redpilled crowd; there's no pretense of white-devilry or apologetics for criminality like rich MFA students pump out into their literary echo chambers.
>>
File: intelligent.jpg (174KB, 1000x929px) Image search: [Google]
intelligent.jpg
174KB, 1000x929px
>>8785213
>tfw when to intelligent to read african american authors
>>
>>8785213
i'm sellout-curious i guess, if i see an audiobook torrent i'll cop it, but when i actually have time to sit and read off a dead tree i gotta go with something more canonical
>>
File: Screenshot 2016-11-30 20.33.48.png (11KB, 827x77px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot 2016-11-30 20.33.48.png
11KB, 827x77px
>>8785241
Fair enough friendo. If you want to get a temporary email address and post it in the thread I'll link you the .epub at least (could probably find an audiobook as well if it exists), but I get that there's only so many books to read as well.

>>8785218
I've always found it funny that the only people who refer to black people as "african-americans" are either trying to hide their power level among the easily-(racially)-agitated or are socially "liberal" folks who have never actually had black friends and wouldn't want them.
>>
>>8785282
i use the term african-american in real life because it's the politically correct term and i value my career, PoC is the term rich suburban liberals use for their one black friend who was actually the daughter of indo-caribbean bourgeois but is counted as black for affirmative action purposes and seems black to people who have only met other whites and mexican maids
>>
>>8785295
That makes sense then, but I really doubt anyone would take issue with "black people" or "the black community" unless they already have a problem with the person using them. It's not the same as "them blacks" or "the Black." Also, I've seen PoC used mostly by white people either generalizing the various social environments of literally everyone but themselves (usually in order to say why they would lead every minority to agree with them politically) or by (also) whites to attempt to frame the struggle of invisible or not-significantly stereotyped ethnicities (European Latino, Slavic, white-North African, "Jewish" etc.) alongside that of blacks and mestizos for whatever reason. In either case the same type who think that they can immunize themselves from accusations of entitlement by displaying white guilt.

I can tell you right now that most black people would be cooler with a white dude who consistently says "nigger" with a hard r but isn't entitled than any of them.
>>
>>8785346
i agree to a certain extent, but at my work we have this form everyone has to fill out to use our services and there's a race checkbox some bureaucrat came up with, it's probably mandated by the federal govt, and it says "black" and on the rare occasion anyone cares it's usually an african-american person getting buttblasted about it like "you ain't supposed to say that no mo, just sayin" but blacks from africa or latin america don't give a shit...one time i did have a irish-american man with very poor social skills go on a rant about it wasn't fair that he could be denied services for being white...i'm like who said anything about denying you anything? we just have to send that shit to the government, calm down fool
>>
>>8785361
Oddly enough, Reginald D. Hunter once called Irish people "white people without the entitlement." Also some major magazine (no source so don't believe it if you don't want to) said something like "With JFK's election as president, the country has begun to see the Irish as almost white."

And yeah, I've never done salaried office work, that sounds like fucking shit. Not to mention that it seems like it'd be a bigger obstacle to continued employment for black people, like you mentioned in your post. What pisses me off is that nobody who isn't a fucking shill actually thinks that way; it's totally an issue of bureaucratic regulation of corporations that are too fucking big to handle themselves. Imagine starting your own company and hiring a middle manager you trust so little that you can't expect him to deal with open racism; that's just dumb business. So many companies give so little of a shit that they'll hire a manager that they can't trust to do anything without a handbook. It's the same bullshit in other industries; like I'd rather get my groceries scanned by someone who doesn't have the expression of a third-rate prostitute than someone with their shirt tucked in who's standing up straight.
>>
>>8785404
It's true the Irish were discriminated against but like any big group of Catholics they used their numbers to take over various semi-governmental functions like police and fire departments, the same way Italians took over sanitation and shipping. So the Irish may never have had the work ethic to succeed banking or high technology, but they still did their fair share of discriminating in labor tier careers.
>>
>>8785434
In America that's definitely been the case. Legit Italians for sure (as in, having been raised exclusively in Italian communities) are possibly the most openly discriminatory people in America, the Sopranos is pretty accurate in that regard really.
>>
>>8785520
"This is", as in "this isn't really the right thread, pal" or "this is probably a shitpost, but just in case it isn't I'm gonna tell him to fuck off"
>>
>>8785528
i think i didn't understand what he was asking, so i deleted
>>
>>8785536
It's ok, this thread's been kinda slow anyway so it's not like he really derailed it.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.