[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Could he have been more wrong? "I am more and more certain

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: IMG_5495.jpg (121KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5495.jpg
121KB, 1200x1200px
Could he have been more wrong? "I am more and more certain that a great deal of what now passes for literary study of the so-called politically correct variety will wash aside. It is a ripple. I give it five years. I have seen many fashions come and go since I first took up literary study. After forty years one begins to be able to distinguish an ephemeral surface ripple from a deeper current or an authentic change." (1991)
>>
>>8785177
>politics and aesthetics aren't inextricably linked

Nice meme
>>
He was only wrong about the time frame. The backlash is mainstream now, whether anons like it or not.
>>
>>8785192
You think so?
>>
File: 24214505752_7e8729961c_z.jpg (112KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
24214505752_7e8729961c_z.jpg
112KB, 640x480px
>What can people get from reading that they can't from movies or television?
>I would say not less than everything. You can get a great deal of information, as such, from screens of one sort or another. You can dazzle yourself with images, if that is your desire. But how you are to grow in self-knowledge, become more introspective, discover the authentic treasures of insight and of compassion and of spiritual discernment and of a deep bond to other solitary individuals, how in fact can like call out to like without reading, I do not know. I suppose if I were to put it in almost a common denominator sort of way, I would say that you cannot even begin to heal the worst aspects of solitude, which are loneliness and potential madness, by visual experience of any kind, particularly the sort of mediated visual experience that you get off a screen of whatever sort. If you are to really encounter a human otherness which finds an answering chorus in yourself, which can become an answering chorus to your own sense of inward isolation, there truly is no authentic place to turn except to a book.

What the fuck is wrong with him?
>>
>>8785177
>>8785216
Harold Bloom is right about literally everything you fucking pseud.
>>
>>8785216
t. sudointellect
>>
>>8785177
He was talking in terms of literary years not actual years
>>
>>8785177

Associating "the so-called politically correct variety [of what now passes for literary study]" with "politically correct" in the context of media standards etc. is stupid, and god forbid you mean in light of Trump.
>>
>>8785846
No, literature academic here, I meant in terms of literary study. It's even worse in terms of political correctness than when this interview took place.
>>
>>8785191
I like you.

At what point do you think the link between a group's politics and it's preferred aesthetic taste originated? I wouldn't think politics as the first principle for aesthetics, though I do believe it's a big part in shaping it, depending on context. Like, the best example I can think of would be modern day biopics (movies, not books) like American Sniper or Glory (two examples on opposite ends of the spectrum)
>>
There was a big pc push in the early 90s that died off and only really resurfaced in the last few years. He was spot on, and he'll be right again.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.