[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can we talk about Harry Potter please? It still astounds me

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4

File: harry_potter.jpg (6KB, 212x238px) Image search: [Google]
harry_potter.jpg
6KB, 212x238px
Can we talk about Harry Potter please?

It still astounds me how great the Harry Potter books were.

JRR Tolkien set his stories in a fictional universe.
Philip Pullman set his stories in an alternate universe.

But JK Rowling set her stories in the human universe albeit with the world of magic co-existing alongside in secret. It's an amazing accomplishment. The fact that while reading we don't have to simply leave this reality an invest in another, we can just believe that somewhere out there people just like us pretty much are flying on brooms, learning potions, and so on.

It's phenomenal. And the character types are themselves ideal. I don't know how she could have improve it. The underestimated wimpy scruffy boy, the nerdy and officious girl, and the poor but loyal and humorous sidekick.

And not only that the but number of plots and subplots, the countless checkhov's guns and inter-textual references, the perfect mixture of serious good VS. evil struggle and the mundane teenage drama (crushes, exam stress, etc) form what I sincerely consider to be the greatest work of literature ever written. Yes the writing is rather plain, but Rowling is so good at structure and plotting that almost every sentence is valuable in some sense, either in providing greater depth to each character or in informing us about some aspect of the magical world.

I read literary fiction now and pretend I enjoy it for the most part, but the purity of Rowling's works will always mean far more to me than any other novel will. She covers practically every human emotion, every internal conflict, every existential struggle that we are likely to face in our lives.
>>
>>8783329
Funny.

We know you hate Harry Potter. It's not very popular here so I'm not sure what you're trying to accomplish
>>
To smart 4 hairy pooter
>>
>>8783353
I actually don't hate it at all. I post most of the Harry Potter threads on /lit/
>>
>>8783329
Isn't the dark materials series set in the real world?
>>
>>8783376
ban this fag pleae
>>
>>8783378
Not really, since there are daemons running around
>>
>>8783396
Yeah but Will is literally from our reality
>>
>>8783329
The world-building was trash and the amount of ass-pulling is too high.
>>
>>8783329
>I don't know how she could have improved it

Not completely shafting Slytherin, for starters.

In book 5 the Sorting Hat says the four Houses must put aside their differences if they want to stand a chance at defeating Voldemort. It's an emboldening thing to say, and really makes you root for Slytherin to support the cause and help fight Voldemort in the final battle. But that literally NEVER happens. At the end of book 7 McGonagall has had enough of Slytherin's shit, and tells them to GTFO.

And she's quite justified in a way. Literally the entire war they're fighting is all Slytherin's fault. But are you telling me, that not one single student from Slytherin wanted to help fight? That there literally isn't a Slytherin that isn't evil, self-interested and cowardly? Let the ones who want to fight, stay, and the others can be sent out. WTF McGonagall. I love you but Dumbledore always gave everyone a chance.

And why are so many Slytherins described as ugly? Why is it that we were not shown a single example of even ONE Slytherin that wasn't an asshole in general? And don't say Slughorn, he's cool but he's also a manipulative little shit. All the background characters like Andromeda and Merlin sound great, but for all we know they also kicked puppies in their spare time. We couldn't have ONE Slytherin that wasn't underhanded?

There's some wonderfully grey morality coming from Slytherin like Snape, but I don't like the overall black and white, "these guys are all evil, these guys aren't" storytelling of the Harry Potter series in general.
>>
File: SlytherinCommonRoomWallpaper.jpg (557KB, 4000x4813px) Image search: [Google]
SlytherinCommonRoomWallpaper.jpg
557KB, 4000x4813px
>>8783474
This. Best house deserved better.

One day friend. One day.
>>
>>8783474
Well it is a children's book series, at the end of the day.
>>
>>8783499
I was okay with that though, until it kept on happening right til there very end. After all, by the time the kids who were intended to read the first books got to the 7th, they likely grew up.

I kept waiting for the moment when Slytherin would redeem itself in some way, unite and stand alongside the other Houses again a common foe, but apparently Slytherins are irredeemable or something.
>>
>>8783329
You're probably ironic, but I have recently reread the books and enjoyed it very much. Her style is rather poor, there are a lot of dei ex machina and magic offers some plot-holes and paradoxes. But the universe, characters and general plot are great.
>>
>>8783329
The whole Deathly Hallows*sheit I have to write sum moar bookies but them ideas are empty* and the MUH Elder wand ending... ugh.
The horcruxes were a let down as well, but could have had potential for much more... BUT LALALALALA ELDER WANG FROM DEATHY IM SELF MATE, U WORE HIS CUMRAG ALLALONG EHHHH, OH THAT STONE!?!?!!?!?! OE CARES AY?
>>
>>8783376
no shit huh
>>
>>8783474
slytherin is the alt-right
>>
Thanks for the pasta ohpie :^)
>>
Dobby relished his groinsaw's roar as he withdrew the flesh-choked blade from the astronaut's ruined skull. He turned to Harry, thrusting his bloody, retina-covered pelvis with elfin fervor.

"How does Ronnie Ron taste, master?"

Harry spat out an eyeball. "Like some kid with eyes."

Dobby ducked an astronaut's poison barbed fist, digging his groinsaw into the beast's abdomen and letting the spray of viscera wash over his elfin space armor. The skulls' eye sockets on his shoulders grew brilliant with an infernal cast and vomited a bolt of light through an astronaut; he was thrown back against the deathwall, his flesh boiling in another dimension.

Harry slapped Dobby, who giggled.

Harry reminded himself to kill himself later.

"Master, look out!"

Dobby's groinsaw screamed as it flew off the armor, rocketing through the air like an early dream of mankind. It flew through three astronauts who dropped their hellspears as the saw cut a hole in the ground beneath them, so they fell to hell, and the demonic spheres rape them to this day, boys and girls.
>>
>>8783474
yeah, but the magic hat decided who was slytherin so the hat only put the evil ones in there lol
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.