[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How the fuck do I read faster? I have a very slow reading speed,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

How the fuck do I read faster? I have a very slow reading speed, and it makes reading a chore.
>>
You don't. Get it so it's not a chore anymore, whatever that means to ya, and read more.
>>
>>8781078
But mine is tremendously slow- I would be loving it if it didn't take me 3 minutes per page.
>>
>>8781084
Get faster or don't.
Suffer or don't.
>>
File: Tiree,_Balephuil_Bay.jpg (91KB, 640x425px) Image search: [Google]
Tiree,_Balephuil_Bay.jpg
91KB, 640x425px
>>8781071
not sure how viable a solution this is for you but get a text of the book, download a text to speech program and adjust the speed ?
>>
Improve your word recognition, basically:

http://www.psychologicalscience.org/publications/speed_reading.html

"Is there any way, then, to speed up reading while maintaining high levels of comprehension? Rayner and colleagues find that modest gains in reading speed are possible through old-fashioned practice. The greater the exposure a person has to a word, the faster and more easily that word will be processed. When people, through practice, expose themselves to a wide variety of different textual material, they become familiar with a wide range of words, leading to faster cognitive processing of text and thus a faster reading speed."

http://psi.sagepub.com/content/17/1/4.full?ijkey=0GSjhNaccRKTY&keytype=ref&siteid=sppsi

"Practice with reading, and in particular reading to comprehend, does help. But it helps slowly and does not cause drastic increases in speed. The importance of practice is widely appreciated for skills such as playing sports or musical instruments. We would not throw someone into a pool and expect them to swim without having learned and practiced the skill of swimming. We would not expect someone to lift weights over and over and become a better football player, because practice means engaging in a complex task in its entirety. Practice is also important for cognitive skills, and reading is no exception. The kind of practice that will help reading is practice that helps people to identify words and comprehend better, not just take in visual information faster. Indeed, as we saw earlier, reading speed is related more to one’s language-processing skills than to the ability to control one’s eyes. If visual information comes in faster than the comprehension system can process it, the increased speed is wasted on broken comprehension. The practice that is required to become a better reader is thus practice with language—a conclusion that is not surprising, given that language is what writing represents. Moreover, written language uses some vocabulary and syntactic structures that are not commonly found in speech, and practice with reading can give people practice with these."

And see the rest of the above section:

http://psi.sagepub.com/content/17/1/4.full?ijkey=0GSjhNaccRKTY&keytype=ref&siteid=sppsi#sec-34
>>
>>8781120
text file*
>>
Watch anime, or anything in a different language with subtitles, and don't pause to read. Worked for me, and didn't take long either. I used to read painfully slow as well, nice being able to enjoy reading now.
>>
i guess i have a similar problem op, i'm not a slow reader of general vocabulary(newspapers, mainstream fantasy and comedy books etc), but I'm just awful at parsing vocabulary at a deeper level. I find myself constantly stopping and googling the definitions of words, and they rarely stick if they're archaic american terms(i'm british). I tend to be a little impatient as well, so when reading a book thats 1000 pages long I start to think about whether there might be something better that I could be doing with my time, another book, going out and getting a life, studying to improve myself etc. The worst of worst is when an author constantly references idiosyncratic texts and academical philosophy, or when they make up words on the fly, like now I'm going to have to spend the next 10 minutes looking up and making sure I understand what the author means/how the themes and ideas of the books he's referencing tie into his own books themes, its fucking bullshit. fuck reading.
>>
>>8781153
also fuck tennis
>>
>>8781071
don't know if it will help, but if I drag my fingers under the words I am reading I can read a bit faster and be way more concentrated. I could even not-subvocalize this way but I don't want t, unless is some simple text of fiction book.
>>
>>8781136
>and don't pause to read
People actually pause to read? you must be a burger
>>
>>8781071
>>8782221
Slow reader here. The best method I have, is practice reading, especially in a noisy place. This can help you learn to focus on the words more. Also I use note cards as bookmarks and put the note cards directly under the line of text I'm reading and pull it down as I go along. This way my brain only sees the sentence I'm reading and not the ones below. This is a strategy they sometimes use to teach little kids how to read, but I have no shame. Sometimes people look at me funny but it has made reading a lot more enjoyable for me. Reading confidence is important and the lack of it is why so many people don't read. Do whatever it takes to read
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.