[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is the best method for learning a new language independent

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2

File: 1479302080558.jpg (107KB, 850x850px) Image search: [Google]
1479302080558.jpg
107KB, 850x850px
What is the best method for learning a new language independent of shitty programs like Rosetta Stone? What did people do before any of the modern language resources were available?

I want to be at a level where I can read the German classics. I test at a B1, and am currently translating Der Kleine Prinz into English and using duolingo to gain vocabulary, but I feel like I'm going to plateau very soon.
>>
>>8781027
>buy grammar textbook
>blast through it, using Anki to create a massive vocab list and memorize vocab
>from day 1, start listening to a podcast, even if it means nothing, just to get the sound in
>when good enough, start reading newspapers
>when good enough, start watching tv in the language you want
>every day, and I mean every fucking day, listen to the podcast, read, and watch tv
>speak with native speakers whenever you can
>profit
>>
Go to classes of german, plus practice by your own. If you don't have an structured learning, with all the time it takes for the knowledge to sink in, you are going to stumble many times.

It is not so much that the classes in themselves can teach you more than a good book or long vocabulary practice, but they force you (if they're good) to speak in the language and gain feedback from other people who are dealing with the same.

Plus once you set yourself goals (i. e. finishing third course and completing the A1 on the european frame), you can identify what your strengths and weakknesses are. Thus, being able to know what problems you will face with the language.
>>
File: 1422393207799.jpg (24KB, 331x334px) Image search: [Google]
1422393207799.jpg
24KB, 331x334px
>>8781116
I took 2.5 semesters of German in high school as well as 1 semester of College German that tought me everything up to the Dativ case. Not in college anymore so courses aren't an option.

Probably going to close the thread now that I got some good answers.
>>
why does he use oversized shirts? he is big enough and that makes him look even bigger.

maybe its cause the sweat would start showing up sooner in tighter clothes.
>>
Pirate Sandberg, "German for Reading."

Do ad it and don't skip things you don't understand.

Get an intermediate grammar book, and start translating simple German books by hand.
>>
>>8782342
>pirate

DUDE FREE STUFF XD
>>
What's a good way to learn Latin? I was planning to get a book on grammar and an english-latin dictionary then work through various latin texts.

I'm not bothered about being able to write Latin but I'd like to be able to read things in Latin.
>>
>>8782348
autisim
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.