[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

God-tier travel books? I've read Kapucinski's Imperium

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 4

File: 20120623_BKP001_0.jpg (58KB, 595x335px) Image search: [Google]
20120623_BKP001_0.jpg
58KB, 595x335px
God-tier travel books? I've read Kapucinski's Imperium and Travels with Herodetus, Slocum's Sailing Alone Around the World, as well as some others, and am about halfway through My Journey to Lhasa by Alexandra David-Neel.

What are some of the best you've read? The wierder and more eclectic the better. I want to read about places I can't believe actually exist(ed)
>>
>>8777108
travels of marco polo
>>
Ibn Battuta

Homage to Catalonia
>>
File: 755537.jpg (22KB, 256x400px) Image search: [Google]
755537.jpg
22KB, 256x400px
>>8777108
Also Incidents of Travel in the Yucatan. The same author did one to Petra as well.
>>
>>8778331
Oh and VS Naipaul's India Trilogy, starting with An Area of Darkness is fantastic. And Travels into Bokhara: The Narrative of a Voyage on the Indus by Burnes is great too, as is his work on Afghanistan. River of Trees by Henning is a non-fiction work on the varied expeditions into the Amazon as well as a really nice anthropological work.
>>
An anon here once posted this great travelogue of the first major expedition sent by Meiji Japan after its opening to the West, to explore the West and report on what made us tick

It was the I....something Expedition, some huge three-volume set. Iwagara? Ikamura? Someting like that.
>>
>>8778349
Found it:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iwakura_Mission
>>
>>8778354
>>8778337
>>8778331
The 19th century was truly the great era of travelogues. Pic unrelated by two years.
>>
>>8778363
I've only read some essays by Belloc but they were comfy as fuck

Is this comfy as fuck?
>>
>>8778366
Bretty gud, but his masterpieces are The Servile State and The Great Heresies. I'm not even a Catholic apologist and he is deeply compelling.
>>
File: 1479841786922.jpg (41KB, 500x413px) Image search: [Google]
1479841786922.jpg
41KB, 500x413px
>>8777108
>God Tier

The Bible desu
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.