[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do I learn to write and get the same knowledge a literature

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: images.png (7KB, 206x245px) Image search: [Google]
images.png
7KB, 206x245px
How do I learn to write and get the same knowledge a literature degree holder has without going to college?

Most people tell me to study programming rather than learning to write literature.
>>
>>8776330
Read books and criticism, you dense helpless faggot

>programming

How dull
>>
Programming is the most noble of all modern human activities, for it combines the precision of STEM and creative sprawl of humanities. Go for it, and study literature for pleasure
>>
>>8776330
Programming is fine, it is both entertaining and technical. Just make sure you get some UX Design and Development experience so you can become more than a code monkey.

Tons of people get programming jobs without a degree and tons of people write without a degree. If you're worried about learning both, just pursue a degree in the field you're least likely to learn on your own.
>>
A literary degree doesn't make you a better writer, that's what creative writing courses are for. Knowledge? that's easy, read.
>>
uh okay

let me hazard a a guess here

maybe by - okay, hold onto your seat: reading books.

like you just pick up a book and then you open it and and look at the letters inside, which make words. and you keep doing that.

maybe.
>>
>>8776330
>learn to write
Practice. Really nothing to do with a literature degree.

>get the same knowledge a literature degree holder has
Read literature and criticism about that literature. Do it in a systematic way by following university courses online- Yale or somewhere like that has Introduction to Literary Theory lectures free online plus a reading list.

>programming
I heard that was oversubscribed and no longer a way to get rich. Make sure you're not being memed.
>>
The big Eliot essays were really helpful to me when I was struggling with my essays - Hamlet and His Problems, Tradition and the Individual Talent, and The Imperfect Critics/The Perfect Critic are all tremendously valuable, and serve as a nice introduction/crash course in modern criticism (seminal essays and all).

Flannery O'Connor also has some useful pieces like "The Nature and Aim of Fiction," and I haven't read much of them but Brooks and Warren are right after Eliot in terms of canonical importance.
>>
>>8776330
People with literature degrees who say that they're more learned because of it either
1) don't actually give a shit about literature and needs courses to motivate him
2) is a ladder-climbing image-obsessed middlebrow psued who wouldn't be able to understand the books without handholding
3) is trying to offset remorse over their decision to piss away money on a useless degree by pretending that because they had a professor that they, like, GET IT on a deeper level than others because they have a piece of paper
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.