[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm still reading the greeks so I won't get to Schopy

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

I'm still reading the greeks so I won't get to Schopy anytime soon, but I'm really interested in his philosophy and I have a question to those who read him. Does he further adress to the topic of animal ethics besides just saying that a good man is kind towards animals or that it is barbaric to hold that they don't deserve rights? Things like critique of the way they are treated by mankind or the act of killing and eating another creature?
>>
>>8771194
Just do an internet search with keywords: Schopenhauer Animal Ethics Rights

Schopenhauer has a lot of short texts so it will not take long to read them. You don't need to know the Greeks before reading Schopenhauer.
>>
>>8771194
having to read the Greeks first is a meme.

For Schopenhauer, it would be wise to read Plato and Kant. As he himself says, those are the only ones you need to know to really understand his metaphyisics. Still, even without having profound knowledge of those, you can read him just like that because his prose is very accessible yet at the same time masterful and genius.

Understanding his ethics about animals requires understanding of his whole metaphysical work, most importantly his most valuable work, the World as Will and Representation. Read that first, then you are good to go.
>>
>>8771194
On the basis of morality has a lot of that animal shit (including your two paraphrases I think). It's hilarious how SJW Schopenhauer is for all those edgypoltards who couldn't understand even the essay on women. On the basis of morality has such key points as
>do not call an animal "it"!!!! would you call a baby "it"?zomg2>"!!!
>HAVE YOU NOT SEEN ELEPHANT MOMMIES CRY OVER THEIR DEAD BABIES??
>Western culture so bad, we don't even worship cow

The eating and killing each other part I can't remember in Schopenhauer, because all I can think of is Nietzsche's explanation of it as birds of prey loving little lambs and the lambs misunderstanding.
>>
>>8771263
Applying the anachronistic SJW term to Schopenhauer. How pleb can you get.
>>
>>8771194

>I'm still reading the greeks so I won't get to Schopy anytime soon

You only need one Greek for him, and that's Plato.
>>
>>8771362
And that's the one I'm reading.
>>
>>8771217
well I mean, but reading Kant without having read Hume and maybe Locke is kind of handicapping yourself needlessly.

Thankfully, Hume doesn't need anything to be read before.
>>
>>8771571
Know what, scratch that, just read the Prolegomena and take it as on face value as possible without consulting his other works. That's the Kant closest to what Schopenhauer uses as basis.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.