[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I've been looking to read the Bible lately? Which is your

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 6

File: allicat.gif (2MB, 300x230px) Image search: [Google]
allicat.gif
2MB, 300x230px
I've been looking to read the Bible lately? Which is your favorite version of the Bible and why? I hear the KJV version is one of the most beautifully interpreted but I'd like some more input.
>>
File: 3665440_orig.png (441KB, 584x357px) Image search: [Google]
3665440_orig.png
441KB, 584x357px
I'm currently reading the NRSV with commentary. I highly, highly recommend you get a Bible with some form of commentary, especially if you're not religious.

Reading the Bible without it you'll miss a lot of stuff.
>>
>>8771064

Commentary is essential. Find a nice study bible. If KJV is too difficult, read a modern translation, then go back to the KJV when you've got the basics down.

I'm not religious at all, but I really enjoy the bible as literature.
>>
The New Oxford Annotated Bible with Apocrypha if you're interested in Christianity. KJV if you're a pseud who just wants to say he's read the bible.
>>
File: image.jpg (342KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
342KB, 1000x1000px
I have the Ignatius which is the GOAT translation
>>
Regardless of any stupid /pol/ larpers opinion about which is the "best" Bible, you should just read the King James Version because that's the one that influenced the cannon of western literature.
>>
>>8771079
Is this an Orthodox Bible?
>>
>>8771124

Catholic
>>
>>8771107
>influenced the canon of western literature.

Nah, not really. Having finally read most of the Bible and remembered/looked up many things that reference it, most of its influence is due to its ideas, not its specific wording. Heck, that's been the case since it was translated into the Vulgate.

The KJV is not special in that regard. You might prefer it for the "prettiest" lines to quote/memorize, but in terms of the most important aspects in the Bible influence, it's not special. None of the translations are, to be accurate.
>>
>>8771135
Wow, nothing in this post is right
>>
>>8771145
A lot of it is right, though.
>>
>>8771135
>most of its influence is due to its ideas, not its specific wording.

A drop in the bucket – Isaiah 40:15

A house divided against itself cannot stand. – Matthew 12:25

A labor of love – Hebrews 6:10

A thorn in the flesh – 2 Corinthians 12:7

All things must pass. – Matthew 24:6

At their wits’ end – Psalms 107:27

Be horribly afraid – Jeremiah 2:12

Coat of many colors – Genesis 37:3

Eat, drink, and be merry. – Ecclesiastes 8:15

Fall from grace – Galatians 5:4

Fight the good fight. – Timothy 6.12

How are the mighty fallen – Samuel 1:19

Know for a certainty – Joshua 23:13

Many are called, but few are chosen. – Matthew 22:14

My cup runneth over. – Psalms 23:5

Out of the mouths of babes – Psalms 8:2

Set thine house in order – Isaiah 38:1

The ends of the earth – Zechariah 9:10

The love of money is the root of all evil. – Timothy 6:10

The root of the matter – Job 19:28

The spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak. – Matthew 26:41

To everything there is a season. – Ecclesiastes 3:1

Turned the world upside down – Acts 17:6
>>
>>8771058

Why would you read anything other than the original Hebrew scripture?
>>
>>8771107
What do you mean? An English 17th century bible based on another translation influenced the western literature?
It influenced literature in the English language and of course not for all authors, but it's certainly not the choice you should make for influence over the Vulgata or Septuagint. The KJV is a protestant meme and the influence on lit is overstated.
>>
>>8771182
And? A lot of more modern translations, and older translations, had those phrases in them as well.
>>
File: JPS.jpg (41KB, 550x550px) Image search: [Google]
JPS.jpg
41KB, 550x550px
Don't let the gentiles hoist their ignorant translations upon you. This is the only one you need.
>>
File: 1479498337614.gif (2MB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
1479498337614.gif
2MB, 320x240px
>>8771135
>most of its influence is due to its ideas, not its specific wording.
>>
File: download.jpg (3KB, 113x144px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
3KB, 113x144px
ESV is easily digestable without compromising ideas like the NIV, KJV is top tier for prose
>>
>>8771182
>A drop in the bucket – Isaiah 40:15
In the Geneva Bible, as well, which predates the KJV.

>A house divided against itself cannot stand. – Matthew 12:25
This is not the quote in the KJV. In fact, it's:
>Every kingdom divided against itself is brought to desolation; and every city or house divided against itself shall not stand.
The Geneva Bible and the Tyndale Bible (which predates both the Geneva and the KJV) have the same wording.

>A labor of love – Hebrews 6:10
The "a" is not included in the KJV. Geneva has this wording.

>All things must pass. – Matthew 24:6
Actual KJV wording is "all these things must come to pass". Geneva and Tyndale have the same wording.

The list goes on... And many of your examples are exactly what I said: influences via ideas, not wording.
>>
>>8771071
You've earned my full respect, Anon.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.