[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

SPOILERS AHEAD There's a completely absurd amount of coincidental

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: 1480266095568.jpg (13KB, 200x317px) Image search: [Google]
1480266095568.jpg
13KB, 200x317px
SPOILERS AHEAD

There's a completely absurd amount of coincidental meetings. Is P just a hack when it comes to plot or should we make something out of it?

What was the point of the harmonica (CoC musical school) interlude? The bit when they return to their original identities is great in any case...

Is Pynchon a luddite? Some sort of anarcho-primitivist? The man lives in NY, perhaps the least primitivistic place in the world, yet the thesis of the book is extremely anti-city. There's the bit out "each regards the other" that suggests some sort of middle ground.

Book argues plenty "against the day", but not enough for the night. Pretty clearly has some sort of nostalgia for the "old west", but come on. Is it intended to be convincing or is there something else going on?

Are we seriously supposed to believe that genius mathematician, adventurer, world traveler, BDSM enthusiast Yashmeen is happy living like a fucking hermit in the middle of nowhere?

What's the angle on the time theme?

How do the themes of time-light-lines connect? Relativity ties together light and time? Lines are space. Spacetime? How does that relate to the rest of the book, how is it "against the day"?

Connection to M&D: this is for engineering what M&D was for science? This vanishing of the invisible stuff... ? But this is also an alternate parallel world (biloc!), not so much for M&D,

The oncoming war starts appearing when Kit is going over to Europe. Is this an implication that WWI was somehow the fault of Americans?

Loses its way a bit with all the BDSM and the spying stuff, no? Disconnected thematically and narratively. Some hints with the "primitive" Balcan people and the railway but...

What's the deal with the winds? Bora, Sirocco, Mistral, etc. their names come up over and over.

Why did Vibe change his mind on the Traverses after seemingly making peace?
>>
Thomas got u gud
>>
Pynchon is the Tarantino of literature.
>>
>>8770975
dude, pynchon stopped writing "great american doorstoppers" after against the day flopped and switched to pulp detective novels...i think that tells u all u need to know
>>
>>8770975
Is it an enjoyable read for its size?
>>
>>8771318
Yeah. Also it's an easy read compared to GR/M&D.
>>
>>8771324
>Yeah. Also it's an easy read compared to GR/M&D.
This book was much harder for me to read than GR or M&D
>>
>>8771541
Why?
>>
>>8771600
way too many characters/plotlines, less sense of rooting in a constant reality and its just really fucking long

both M&D and GR have a small handful of main characters who always keep you anchored. ATD for me was a shitshow. maybe i'm not a good enough reader, but it seemd to me like ATD was the craziest pynchon ever went with a novel
>>
>>8771623
Yeah I think you have to keep a notepad on the side with a few notes on every character so you can keep track.
>>
>>8770975
isn't this one written in a ton of different literary genres from the past/are no longer relevant?

When i realized that, and didn't know any of the genres tropes, i realized I wouldnt get any of the satire and put it down/
>>
>>8770975
>Are we seriously supposed to believe that genius mathematician, adventurer, world traveler, BDSM enthusiast Yashmeen is happy living like a fucking hermit in the middle of nowhere?

What makes you think that this is probable? I'm pretty sure the Amish are happier than us. And so are probably many hermits. The cities are hives of scum and villainy. Can't wait to leave.
>>
i dropped this book when the agent investigating the labor struggle got blown by a stick of dynamite into an alternate universe

maybe ill try again in a few years
>>
>>8770975
All the deficiencies and misunderstandings are likely with the book and not you
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.