[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is the best way to study English grammar? I am an English

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

File: prepositional_phrase.jpg (11KB, 224x163px) Image search: [Google]
prepositional_phrase.jpg
11KB, 224x163px
What is the best way to study English grammar? I am an English speaker who is able to write well enough, but cannot explain any of the rules of English grammar that I seem to understand out of practice?

I have never seen a class available at my college, and basic stuff like this has never been covered in my 101, 102 and other writing courses I have taken and I am starting to suspect this kind of content is only taught is ESL courses. I would be cool with asking a professor in one of these classes about the questions I have regarding the mechanics of a sentence and its structure but clearly I am in that class for other reasons and so class is simply not the time to ask in my life.
>>
>>8766180
read some style manuals; unless you'd like to be able to explain english to people who don't speak it, that should have you covered
there's also a good stack exchange forum called advanced english grammar and usage
the new yorker's editors also put out grammar related short pieces every now and then
>>
>>8766191
Would those sort of sources have, like, a beginner's section to explain something (even as simple) like what a clause is? A good part of my confusion is my deliberate aversion of engaging in conversations about grammar, my insecurity with the verbiage. I'd hate to be making literally no sense, or misunderstanding something completely!!
>>
>>8766191
>>8766201
excluding the new yorker, of course. That sounds like a fun way to learn new things and have them applied quickly though.
>>
>>8766180 (OP)
You should probably just pick up the book ESL teachers have to learn.

Pic related.

Others to consider:
Elements of Style (the Fourth edition and the Revised edition, link below)
http://vrici.lojban.org/~cowan/style-revised.html
Garner's Modern American Usage
The Sense of Style

I've asked /lit/ this question many times and never really get a full answer. I'm sure there are other great ones and I'm sure there are reasons to not read some or all of the ones I listed
>>
>>8766267
Very reasonable. I may have to reach out to some ESL teachers and ask if they agree on or support one particular book, and check out your suggestions too.
>>
>>8766267
>picrelated
Not, OP, but thanks. I've checked the illegally downloaded PDF and it seems like exactly the thing I've been looking for. My vocabulary and general understand of the language are fine but my grammar sucks shit, yet all textbooks are dead-set on fusing all these topics. I just wanted some fucking grammar.
>>
File: dailydiagram34.jpg (69KB, 1027x550px) Image search: [Google]
dailydiagram34.jpg
69KB, 1027x550px
>>8766180
sentence diagramming!
http://www.german-latin-english.com/diagrams.htm
>>
>>8766267
Thanks for the rec
>>
>>8767664
What the fuck, explain to me how this is useful
>>
>>8767716
I think it's useful for visualizing the structure of a sentence
>>
>>8767664
woah, this is pretty much exactly what I was looking for.
>>
>>8766267
This style guide seems excellent. I have only just started reading it and its addressing some common issues I have run into.

Thanks again.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.