[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

We haven't discussed Gene Wolfe in a while What's

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 5

File: image.jpg (80KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
80KB, 500x500px
We haven't discussed Gene Wolfe in a while
What's the happenings?
>>
Ivan, get OFF the internet.
>>
>>8759654
Just started Sword of the Lictor. Some things works for me and some things don't. Some of his metaphors made me
cringe:

"There was something underneath, something else, a face like the face poison would have, if poison had a face."
>>
>>8761080
Sounds patrician enough
>>
>>8761080
isnt the worst thing ever.
>>
>>8761080
He's got some great line though. The Death of Doctor Island is maybe my favorite short story behind Eveline.
>>
what are the best editions of wolfe to have, i mean most comfy to hold

dont care about covers
>>
>>8761616
Yeah he does. I'll see what I think after I finish The Book of the New Sun. Some people praise it as one of the greatest books produced in the 20th century but at this point I don't see it meeting that high level of genius. What do I know though?
>>
>>8759654
i just got the four parts of the new sun
i am getting ready to be memed
>>
>>8761669
I haven't read it yet (just got through a retrospective collection of short fiction) Fifth Head of Cerebrus shows his genius of understanding how to use Sci-fi to exaggerate socio-political climates without devolving into allegory. Also, it was spooky as fuck.
>>
File: The_long_sun(novel).jpg (958KB, 1476x2206px) Image search: [Google]
The_long_sun(novel).jpg
958KB, 1476x2206px
>>8761662
The book of the long sun edition, where they condense it down into just two volumes, have an outer cover that feels very very nice in my hands. Pic related is the one I'm talking about.
>>
>>8761926
is that the same publisher that did 2 in 1 books like shadow and claw etc?
>>
>>8761673
then go away from here you fucking idiot and don't read anything about it on lit until you've actually read them

fat chance
>>
What's so cool about this 'Gene Wolfe' fellow?
>>
File: wolfe praise.jpg (44KB, 577x290px) Image search: [Google]
wolfe praise.jpg
44KB, 577x290px
>>
File: 5968872.jpg (25KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
5968872.jpg
25KB, 300x300px
>tfw you've tried multiple times to write to him and let him know how much you appreciate his books

I've sent letters to two different addresses, one of which was supplied by his literary agencies. It's been months and I've heard no reply. I guess maybe he's just very old and sort of slow. I hope he got at least one of my letters.
>>
>>8761669
I think it's definitely genius. Every time I reread it I figure out new shit. Knowing about Catholicism is helpful as well
>>
>>8762132
What address? I looked up where he lives, in Peoria.
>>
File: 1469783829147.jpg (950KB, 886x1147px) Image search: [Google]
1469783829147.jpg
950KB, 886x1147px
Where should I start with Wolfe?
>>
>>8762241

I was raised Catholic (although I only know superficial stuff as I wasn't forced to practice and I don't really practice today although I retain interest in Christian and Catholic thought and want to learn more on Christian theology) and I get some of the relations between Severian and Christ and the general relationships between the characters and their Biblical analogues. I may be presenting it too harshly, it's pretty damn good, I hope the last two books really send the entire series home. I agree that there's a lot of mystery and some stuff that I just passed over without thinking about it and some things that Severian says that make me question who he really is, and by that I mean actually and in relation to everyone else knowing that he is the Autarch at the point of writing the book. We'll see.
>>
>>8762446
The main Catholic stuff is about sacraments.
>>8762109
If it's Orb books, then yes.
>>8762417
Fifth Head of Cerberus probably.
>>
>>8762478
We'll I've done all of the holy sacraments. I'll keep an eye out though, I already see the parallels of baptism with Severian and the Undine in the first chapter and the Eucharist with the Alzabo and Thecla'a body.
>>
>>8762446
Yeah...don't expect the last two books to clear much up. For that you have to read the FIFTH book.
>>
>>8762502
They clear things up just fine if you pay a lot of attention. There's nothing in Urth that wasn't in the first four.
>>
>>8762509
Right, but he comes out and states plainly some of the more knotty time-travel stuff. It's basically his way of saying "You made it this far. Have you had your break today?"
>>
>>8762521
It's more like fuck you editors, I didn't want to write this.
Tho I'm glad he did, because it's great.
>>
>>8762521
Thanks for ruining the last few books...
>>
>>8763543
It's a book that's meant to be reread, knowing a piece of info makes no difference.
>>
>>8763670
I guess. I feel like that would have made the story more potent having not known that fact.
>>
>>8763688
That spoiled nothing but the fact that time travel is a topic covered, which (if I'm remembering correctly) is something revealed in the first volume.
>>
>>8763990
Correct, it is implied fairly early on.
>>
>>8763990
Strange, I don't really recall that at all. Except maybe the scene with Triskele in the Atrium of Time and the Botanical Gardens with the French colonialists and the bi-plane. Jonas and Hethor definitely don't seem to be from the time Severian is from.
>>
>>8763543
....that spoiled nothing. Put on your big boy pants, son.
>>
>>8765727
Good shit.
>>
>>8759654
I've read the new sun mostly because I kept seeing his name thrown around here and because Gene Wolfe Croat Meme Man lobbied for him. I enjoyed the books and I can definitely see the beauty of what he is trying to do with the three layers composing the book: the theological one (the metaphysical part of the world of the new sun), the sci-fi one (the reality of the world Severian lives in) and the fantasy one (sort of what we get because of Severian is unreliable in recognising the world he lives in). The way they interact leads to some very cool scenes, but I always found that they don't go much deeper than that, they do not relate to each other or unify in a coherent point or message or vision.

Yes, Gene Wolfe does represent Catholic theology and draws deep parallels to it, but even these episodes seem like isolated instances of thematic similarity rather than parts of a whole. It's like Wolfe keeps showing us how Severian resembles Christ, how the purpose of Christ is manifested in his world (which is cool, it seems to me that Wolfe tries to make a world where the spiritual reality of Christianity is manifested explicitly through physical aspects), but for me, it never really comes together in a coherent story.
>>
>>8766431
>Gene Wolfe Croat Meme Man
I like it Bill.
>>
>>8766441
I ain't Bill.
>>
>>8766444
>I ain't bill
Wow Matthew, really?
>>
>>8766453
wtf how did you know my name
>>
>>8766454
Catholic meme powers
>>
>>8766454
This is another guy.

But Catholic meme powers don't fail.
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.