[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I once read that an author was working on a book and a ranchhand

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

I once read that an author was working on a book and a ranchhand accidentally threw it into a fire. The author, distraught, got drunk and stayed up all night rewriting it. For some reason I thought it was Faulkner writing "As I Lay Dying". Has anyone else heard this tall tale? Who was it and what did they write?
>>
I'm pretty sure As I Lay Dying was written over the course of two months when Faulkner got back from his job at a steel mill or something
>>
>>8755224
I think someone on lit posted about this story...it might have been Steinbeck writing OMAM...but the story was basically that the novel was destroyed and they got drunk and rewrote the whole thing overnight. Might have been hemingway or conrad? Maybe Twain?
>>
>>8755221
That was Kafka. His manuscripts were partially saved from the flames by his best friend, Max Brot.
>>8755224
Most of his oeuvre was written late at night, after working all day as a fabric salesman and tending for his bedridden father, to whom he was tremendously attached.
>>
>>8755699
That ranchhand was a long way from home
>>
I think it was Carlyle you're thinking of. John Stuart Mill's maid threw his manuscript about the French Revolution in the fire and Carlyle had to rewrite the entire from scratch.
>>
It's easy to verify when and how a book was written, especially in the age before computers.
>>
>>8755699
Faulkner has stated many times that writing early in the morning is best
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.