[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I don't consider myself "ready" to write a novel

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: vlcsnap-2016-11-22-06h01m00s594.png (343KB, 720x480px) Image search: [Google]
vlcsnap-2016-11-22-06h01m00s594.png
343KB, 720x480px
I don't consider myself "ready" to write a novel - maybe in ten years I could produce something I would put my real name on - but I really need the money.

Even a few hundred dollars a year would be something. Rather than submit to slushpiles at a 1% success rate or lower, I'm thinking of publishing on Amazon.

How should I go about this, /lit/?

If I'm going to set aside literary perfection and write a crowdpleaser, I may as well give the crowd what it wants. What does it want?
>>
>>8753640
>What does the crowd want?
To be told that they're done learning and they don't ever have to challenge themselves or subject their thoughts and opinions to scrutiny ever again because they're perfect little angels entitled to all good things regardless of how what they've done for it.
>>
>>8753645
I meant more along the lines of "what do they want to read?"

I'm not sure even radical types read their own sermons. They just write them to blow off steam.
>>
YA is where the money's at
>>
>>8753722
How's that?
>>
>>8753640
Child dominatrix oil tycoon airessess 'Jamesina Bomds''s investment into the elixir of life has finally paid off, and she is prepared to commercially release it to the entire world, but the werevampirewolf faction of the northern hills have teamed up with the nano AI bot world army corps led by Dr. Yahoo Bing to try and stop the threatening of their motions to enter the world into Phase P 4 9ner, Jamesina's clients are some of the biggest names in various worldly industries, chock full of heart wrenching action, suspense and drama, love, sex, violence, philosophy, politics, romance, mystery, horror, sci fi, fantasy, and more! 17 weeks straight on New York times best seller! Perfect gift for the family this coming holidays! Being adapted to screen by M night Shamalaman!
>>
>>8753830
I think that synopsis gave me cancer.
>>
>>8754032
if only masterpieces did such to all unworthy viewers/critics
>>
>>8753640
YA makes bank. Dystopia makes it even better. Add some teenage wish fulfillment with a love triangle in and you're golden. Pander to liberals with gay characters and "fuck you dad I'm my own girl!" rhetoric.

Or you could overcome your writer's anxiety and start working on your own, intellectually honest novel. I would go with that if I were you.
>>
Nobody tells this to people who are beginners, I wish someone told me. All of us who do creative work, we get into it because we have good taste. But there is this gap. For the first couple years you make stuff, it’s just not that good. It’s trying to be good, it has potential, but it’s not. But your taste, the thing that got you into the game, is still killer. And your taste is why your work disappoints you. A lot of people never get past this phase, they quit. Most people I know who do interesting, creative work went through years of this. We know our work doesn’t have this special thing that we want it to have. We all go through this. And if you are just starting out or you are still in this phase, you gotta know its normal and the most important thing you can do is do a lot of work. Put yourself on a deadline so that every week you will finish one story. It is only by going through a volume of work that you will close that gap, and your work will be as good as your ambitions. And I took longer to figure out how to do this than anyone I’ve ever met. It’s gonna take awhile. It’s normal to take awhile. You’ve just gotta fight your way through.
>>
>>8753640
Look at the most popular books subject matter (accounting ONLY for popular books while the artist was alive, not money grabs from marketing companies from authors passed)
Harry Potter
>HORRIBLY written tween book about fantasy world where the nerd is the most powerful. 90% of the first books are describing shit
Chicken Soup for the Soul
>feel good book about self help. Nothing is ACTUALLY going to help anyone, but the readers cry and think they will be better people
Fifty Shades of Grey
>women can finally indulge in their whore fantasy without actually doing it. No matter your opinion on women, they are BIOLOGICALLY programmed to want a master to dominate them. That's why 99% of romance novels are bought by women
Oprah Top 20 or whatever book
>dumb women will buy what the dominate role tells them to, even if it's just a list of books to buy
Fantastic Beast
>harry potter money grab, just a sequel, and a screen play. Only sold because of Harry Potter. Wouldn't have made a dime otherwise
The Daily Show
>riding the coat tails of the popular show
Dragon Teeth
>take Jurassic Park and rewrite it
26 seconds
>bullshit story about the Kennedy Assisnation from Zapruder, only sold because of the name and the subject together. Riding daddies coat tails.
Some Joan Rivers shit
>sold because Joan Rivers

Basically OP either already be famous or write about a nerdy fucky who beats the big bad man in a fantasy world. Or give women a reaso to be whores. That's about it. You can also write Murriiicccaa shit like American Sniper. The market is small.

>make liberals feel good
>make women feel empowered
>make murica seem great
>make nerds feel powerful
Basically, write a book about Trump and make the antagonist kill him. I want 10%.
>>
> wish fulfillment
> the hero's journey
> five act structure
> gentle pats on the head
> pixar's 22 rules of storytelling
> simple language

there's probably more but I can't think of anything else right now. it's like writing a pop song, there'a formula to it. but if it's done well it can still be impressive in it's own way. the trick is making the reader think they're seeing something new/groundbreaking while giving them a gentle handy under the table.
>>
>>8755274
oh, and shove a love subplot in there. that's important.
>>
>>8755249
Kys, pal :)
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.