[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it bad storytelling if all the protagonists and deuteragonists

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: ffxv.jpg (118KB, 579x640px) Image search: [Google]
ffxv.jpg
118KB, 579x640px
Is it bad storytelling if all the protagonists and deuteragonists die at the end of the story?

Does your answer change if they were sacrificing themselves for a cause or ideal?
>>
No. Pretty much what happens in Blood Meridian.
>inb4 le corncob writer xDDDDD
>Sacrificing yourself for an ideal
lol
>>
Huh. I might actually buy this now. Thanks.
>>
>/v/ is literally upset that a protagonist dies at the end

It's a good thing intellectual novels are like kryptonite to videogame-playing degenerates or else the suicide rates of male virgins aged 18-40 would skyrocket.

>Wahhh why aren't my anime characters living happily ever after with sunshines and lollipops wahhh
>>
I cant get over the artstyle.

>breh lets drive our dodge charger around, solo trash mobs amd thia evil power dark thing of blackness

Even though ff usually gives a reason the actual federation cant help the heroes on their quest.
>>
>>8749726
me too

>>8749707
ty op
>>
>>8749744
Does FF have any kind of chronology or connected universe? I remember FF2 had references to FF1 but thats it. And I have only played 1 2 and 7.

I just dont see whats the point/appeal of a series where every installment has completely different gameplay, takes place in a completely different universe with different characters and often made by a different studio and writers. Beyond branding whats the point of even calling them Final Fantasy 237, why not just make a new IP.
>>
>>8750373
>Does FF have any kind of chronology or connected universe?
No. Although Dissidia does transport a number of FF characters to a single universe set in the same world as FF1. I doubt it's regarded as canon.

>I remember FF2 had references to FF1 but thats it.
There weren't any references to FF1. The game was based on similar assets and vague bits of code, but it occurs in a different universe.

>I just dont see whats the point/appeal of a series where every installment has completely different gameplay, takes place in a completely different universe with different characters and often made by a different studio and writers.
Keeping things fresh. Who wants to play rehash after rehash after rehash?

They're not designed by different studios and writers. I'm sure Square has undergone a bit of re-staffing here and there, but the FF series has mostly been designed by the same team - at least until the Square-Enix merger took place. The series post-FF10 definitely took things in a whole other direction.

>why not just make a new IP
Each entry in the series does tend to have its common ground. Although in-game systems like character development may differ from game to game, the basic formation of the battle system generally remains the same. And characters may have access to similar skills throughout the entire series.

Square does have FF-inspired IPs, though. The SaGa series started out as a more tabletop rules-driven game that borrowed some elements from Final Fantasy, then evolved into a wildly experimental IP that bears no resemblance to the FF series today.
>>
>>8749726

Don't bother. Everything Square-Enix is fanfiction-tier garbage.
>>
>>8750373
Ivalice games (FFT, Vagrant Story, FF12) have a canonically shared world though how they relate chronologically is debatable.
>>
>>8750373
There actually is a little bit of canon bcuz of time travel, which might be why they using sports cars in combat, but not all the games are connected.
>>
>>8750474

Vagrant Story wasn't originally connected. Square later shoehorned it into the Ivalice universe for some reason.

Just a bit of odd trivia.
>>
>>8750485
You're right, though the connection is logical and was made by fans early on. A lot of the same crew that worked on FFT worked on it, and it has a lot of carry over from that, both aesthetically and in reference (pretty sure place names are in both, characters from FFT referenced in items, etc.).

Also they're both GOAT PS era games.
>>
>>8750408
>There weren't any references to FF1. The game was based on similar assets and vague bits of code, but it occurs in a different universe.

In the wizard city next to the desert theres a monument to the protags of FF1 and a book that describes the events of it.
>>
>>8750600
>In the wizard city next to the desert theres a monument to the protags of FF1 and a book that describes the events of it.

I don't recall seeing anything like this. The books describe some of FF2's in-game lore, but that's all.

There can't be a monument to the protagonists of FF1 because the characters are entirely generated by the player.
>>
>>8750627
Not them specifically, it was the "heroes of time" or whatever they were called. Play it again its there.
>>
even on /lit/ i can't escape this shit game
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.