[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How would you go about writing a jab at Gary Stu archetype? Making

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

How would you go about writing a jab at Gary Stu archetype?
Making him suffer throughout the work is out of question, since he wouldn't be a Gary Stu then.
Likewise, if mc only thinks he is the Gary Stu, it's not the same as actually being one.
Making him suddenly lose is non-sequitur and would only work in a very short work.
Using the loss to give him development? It would better be positive development and not return to how he was.
Using Gary Stu as a non-main character? This poses the question how would you make a side character or antagonist feel GaryStuish.
Gradually showing him in less and less sympathetic light, so that in the end it feels like justice is served?
>>
>Clinically insane
>>
>>8748645
Use a Gary Stu but make his environment reward losing or being weak rather than being successful.
>>
He is perfect, but despite this cannot rise to primacy within society or even his chosen occupation and/or pastimes. He has competitors who are also perfect, and happen to be luckier or better positioned than him as well. In the end, despite his innumerable positive qualities, he despairs at his unspecialness in a society of hundreds of millions.
>>
Kumagawa from Medaka Box
>>
>>8748756
Also, place him in a mundane setting that doesn't need saving often, if at all.
>>
>>8748769
Also, write about him growing older, weaker, uglier - less perfect, in other words. Write about him getting arthiritis and other inevitable aging-related diseases. Write about him in his dying days, using as a model perhaps a dissipated Kant and/or sports legend of your choice. Write about his death.
>>
>>8748863
Final piece of advice. Have him respond to all this in an ultimately healthy and adaptive way, overcome despair, and die at peace with his not entirely flawless life. The jab shouldn't be at *his* inability to handle reality...
>>
>>8748863
>>8748966
That's boring. I'm writing a harem story right now and my MC isn't a Gary Stu type so much as inscrutable, he only cares about sex and tells the brutal truth because he doesn't know any better. The girls around him and the world warps to make it easier on him to ascend to greatness, it's like this strange reverse tragedy where you just watch some idiot bumble around and become a hero because he met the right people who guided him the right way.
It was my favorite idea, because it mocks the idea of harem while supporting it. True wish fulfillment, where you can barely believe it's real but it happens anyways, like winning the lottery and using that money to open a successful business.
Most people just lose their cash after winning it.

In exchange, I made him immature and did my best to clue the readers in that this guy is flailing about like an idiot and winning every time.
For a 'true' jab at gary stu, I can't think of anything better without compromising his stu status.
Once you take away his youthful immortality and power, he loses all relevance as a stu character. I'm planning on my character basically fucking everything up for everyone except himself, barely hanging on the wreckage of a nation and his close lovers congratulating him because he made them happen, no matter how many lives he destroyed, they all decide to accept it.
>>
>>8748645
I tend to write myself into one of my works as a Gary Stu who always suffers a sudden tragic death. One time I even wrote a character who had a ballpark resemblance to him but had completely different morals which distressed the other characters
>>
>>8748645
Do what I am Doing. Make it Philosophical debate between a man who is born Gifted VS a man who isn't born gifted.
>>
>>8749441
>this strange reverse tragedy where you just watch some idiot bumble around and become a hero because he met the right people who guided him the right way
So every harem anime ever?
>>
>>8749837
shit. Good point. It seems I've confused myself so much writing harem nonsense that I thought I was doing something cool. I'll make sure to feel worse about it when I write it, thanks.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.