[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Would it be confusing to read Ulysses without having read the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

File: platocomplete.jpg (31KB, 500x699px) Image search: [Google]
platocomplete.jpg
31KB, 500x699px
Would it be confusing to read Ulysses without having read the odyssey or illiad? I have read Edith Hamilton's "Mythology", and have read a lot of plato's dialogues, the symposium, and am reading the republic right now, so I understand a lot of what happened in the poems, I just haven't read them.

Also, is it ok to read two books at the same time in /lit/'s opinion? I just have been reading a lot of plato and I want to continue reading plato, and then aristotle, but I am also interested in books like Ulysses, infinite jest, etc.
>>
>>8740808

Depends. Have you read James Joyce's other books? and have you read Hamlet?
>>
>>8740808
Why would you want to read some ex-Catholic fart-fetishit's third book instead of the Divine Word?
>>
>>8740808
Honestly, uylsses is so dense that even if you read all the books you're supposed too (hamlet, Odyssey, portrait, etc ...) You'll still probably miss somethings. Just jump in and read the book, and maybe come back to it in six months for a reread. I think you'll get more out of reading it again than doing any homework.

Although you should really read the Odyssey, hamlet, and portrait as they are all great books
>>
>>8740823
thanks man
>>
Honestly the only book I'd say is required is A Portrait of the Artist. You can read the Odyssey and Hamlet beforehand if you want, and they will shed light on certain aspects of the novel overall, but I don't think you should force yourself to read them solely for understand Ulysses.

If you want to read them and haven't before then go for it, but if you're only reading them to prepare for Ulysses then just read Portrait and don't worry about the rest.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.