[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it true that /lit/ doesn't like spelling changes in the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

Is it true that /lit/ doesn't like spelling changes in the portrayal of regional accents?
>>
>>8740100

Writing dialect is a skill and a balancing act that can easily be overdone and become a distraction to the reader. Dickens was very good at it, and Twain was good too. It's best though to avoid it, beyond maybe giving a description or one or two examples to give the reader a taste
>>
>>8740132
twain was the best. flannery O'Connor is another that did it well.

I enjoy the preservation of the accurate portrayal of an area's vernacular. I will say it's probably best to keep it in quotes and to provide a reliable narrator unless you're going for the huck finn thing which can be great too.

but as anon said it's so easily overdone it can be annoying, pretentious etc etc
>>
Alice Walker is pretty damn good at bringing nigger speak to the written word. TCP contains top tier syntax.

>inb4 ur a fag
>>
>>8740100
I think it's important to retain the regional and historical idiosyncrasies to create an accurate account of the world that was, even if it does strain the reader a bit. The cultural relevance can be seen in the understanding of puns and idioms, the influence of local languages, and the social class of the characters.

We owe a debt to Jaques for retaining the obscure Mole dialect in the Redwall series, such little is known about their esoteric culture.
>>
>>8740132
Dickens was usually subtle about it, which I love. Like it took me way too long to realize that Guppy was saying that Esther had imprinted an image on his /heart/.
>>
>>8740522
I unironically loved the different animal accents in Redwall as a kid. He put real effort into that world and how things would subtly change in the long periods of time between books.
>>
>>8740357
>Alice Walker is pretty damn good at bringing nigger speak to the written word. TCP contains top tier syntax.
>>inb4 ur a fag

worse, you're a lesbian
>>
>>8740100
Ye.
>>
>>8740100
/lit/'s not one person, get that through your skull. I don't mind it at all if done well, it didn't bother me when reading Of Mice and Men.
>>
>Had to read The Grapes of Wrath for a film adaptation class I took on a whim last semester
>Had to finish it before we saw the film but I kept putting it off. I liked it, but I wanted more time to read.
>Last two days before class read a combined 500 pages of the book, with most of that being the night before class
>Literally spent the next day, all kidding aside, unable to think to myself, or to read any text in any medium, without thinking in the accent the characters spoke in.

I thought I was broken, but by the day after that it only happened intermittently before disappearing.

It was honestly one of the weirdest things that ever happened to me
>>
>>8741178
Eh, I think most avid readers have had something like this happen once or twice.
>>
I really wonder how the translations of Berlin Alexanderplatz handle the dialect. Any of you guys know?
>>
>>8741178
That sure is somepin'.
>>
>>8741178

I read Molloy and I was having constant doubts in my head about everything.
>>
>>8740100
D.H Lawrence is fucking insufferable when he tries it
>>
>>8741178
I watched a bunch of Zizek one day and read everything in his voice for a while after that *sniff*
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.