[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Now that the dust has settled, what is /lit/s consensus on "choose

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2

File: goosebumps.jpg (30KB, 220x320px) Image search: [Google]
goosebumps.jpg
30KB, 220x320px
Now that the dust has settled, what is /lit/s consensus on "choose your own adventure" books?
>>
Hopscotch is p gud
>>
>>8738813

They are in some sense poor literature. And yet in another sense they're good children's literature because they engage the reader, are a novel literary form, and in many cases use the second-person, a rare voice. This also engages the reader's imagination.

I devoured like 50 of the things as a kid, and I think I'm better for it despite the first above clause.
>>
The idea of reading one was always more fun than actually reading it.
>>
>>8738813
Underutilized format. Great things could be achieved through it yet it has been relegated to mostly children's books.
>>
>>8739490
Choose your own adventure but in verse when?

Not that there's been a lot of good second-person poems or anything
>>
>>8738813
When I read those books as a kid I would grab 5 or so bookmarks and place one of them at every fork in the road to make sure I read every possible path.
>>
>>8738813
Some anon is writing a CYOA erotic story about mind control and it's fucking hot. It's a good proof of concept for CYOA transcending kiddie literature. There were a few Interactive Fiction games that were /lit/ as fuck. I think they're the most entertaining thing to be produced using CYOA devices. Give "Slouching Towards Bedlam" a play sometime for a prime example.
>>
>>8739490
Vidya is superior to it in most every way.
>>
>>8739593
>Some anon is writing a CYOA erotic story about mind control and it's fucking hot.
Link? Details?
>>
>>8739520
>Pick the left door
>Or thou shalt regret
>Forevermore

>Pick the right door
>And your bum will be
>Very very sore
>>
Good desu. I remember using all my fingers as bookmarks and checking out every ending
>>
F I G H T I N G
A
N
T
A
S
Y

All others have failed.
>>
File: creature.jpg (140KB, 656x1048px) Image search: [Google]
creature.jpg
140KB, 656x1048px
>>8740093
My Nizzle.

Always save the Hobgoblin, he's your buddy, and villagers are a bunch of fucking normies anyway.

You need the crystal shield to get the best ending.
>>
The ones I've read were really shitty.

Either the choice was so inconsequential that you'd end up reading the same pages in any case (obviously, the author doesn't want to flesh out two completely different narratives, so the book would have a recursive effect that makes the decision almost useless), or the decision was of such consequence that the book would end abruptly (choosing to go right instead of left meant there was a monster behind the rock that ate you in a paragraph).

In theory, they could have been good if they were well-made and plotted intelligently. I never read one that could be described as such, though.
>>
>>8738813
Fucking goosebumps on fucking /lit/... FUCKING GOOSEBUMPS ON MOTHERFUCKING /lit/?!
...this board is officially dead now. Jumped over the shark. Three times over.
I'm leaving. This shit is beyond saving. So long, /lit/
>>
>>8742115
see ya tomorrow anon
>>
>>8742115
Sperglord down. Repeat, sperglord down. Send backup and tendies stat.
>>
>>8738813
Open-world videogames and TTRPGs are much more suited for this type of idea than books are.
>>
>>8738813
Fun. I read that exact book as a kid.
>>
>>8739520
>>8739992
Why doesn't /lit/ wrote a booku kike thus won>
>>
>>8743044
It was easily the worst goosebumps I read. The execution was lame as hell.
>>
They are for children and should not be discussed on a literature forum, that's what I think
>>
>>8743118
You're a big stupid poopy pants and thats what I think.
>>
They are like shitty visial novels that you can't masturbate to
>>
>>8743133
Nonsense, you can masturbate to anything if you put your mind to it.
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.