[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What language should I learn to broaden my understanding of literature?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: Julija Steponaviciute (2).jpg (529KB, 1563x1035px) Image search: [Google]
Julija Steponaviciute (2).jpg
529KB, 1563x1035px
What language should I learn to broaden my understanding of literature?

My first thought is Russian or Spanish as I've enjoyed works translated from those languages the most, but it also might be better for me to learn one of the classic languages like Latin or Greek.

Ideally I want to work towards being able to proficiently read and understand two languages besides English.
>>
Don't learn a meme language like Latin or Greek, certainly not if you're a monolingual English speaker. They're too limited in scope because few speakers and too difficult. Learn a living breathing language that can be used not just for reading but travelling and communicating with people.

Really French, Spanish and German are the best because they have the best cultural pedigree in literature, film, history and music. Also they can be useful for travelling because they're the official language of many nations and they're not too difficult for English speakers.

For a third language you can branch out and try something more obscure, but for a second language I would recommend keeping it practical.
>>
File: 1477221246609.gif (2MB, 374x254px) Image search: [Google]
1477221246609.gif
2MB, 374x254px
>>8738208
Esperanto. It has the best of everything.
>>
>>8738260
Most ill-informed post for some time.

Latin is the best beginning to any lifetime of language learning anyone can have. Learn Latin and all other languages become easy; and you have then access to two millennia of literary and scientific masterpieces.

Latin is certainly easier than any modern foreign language. Greek is more difficult, however.

What else are you going to do with your life?
>>
>>8738558
Do you even speak Latin or are you just talking out of your ass
>>
German of course.
>>
>>8738208

Italian.
1. Best music of words.
2. Get to read divine comedy and properly made sonnets. Also, Orlando Furioso.
3. Renaissance philosophy is based and starts with the greeks so you have that too (even though second hand greeks are not as good as first hand greeks).
4. Modern meta-shit masturbating literature with calvino, eco and shit + modern shit political literature with Pasolini if you are SJWlike.

Can't go wrong with Italian.
>>
>>8738558
>Latin is certainly easier than any modern foreign language.
embarrassing
>>
>>8738208

start with the greeks, brother, i did
>>
>>8738260
I definitely agree with this if you're monolingual, but I read a ton of original Latin for my degree and it's rewarding
>>
>>8738578
Of course.

>>8738708
Latin is more regular than any language I know of, except Greek or Sanskrit.
>>
>>8738973
* rather, Greek and Sanskrit may just as well be randomised syllables.
>>
>>8738208
French, then it'll be easy to branch out to italian or spanish.
>>
>>8738260
Don't fuck with German. Some good literature but no travel potential and Germans speak English.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.