[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /lit/ I recently had an idea that doesn't let me go.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: image.jpg (107KB, 640x814px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
107KB, 640x814px
Hey /lit/
I recently had an idea that doesn't let me go. It's about how gaming affects the way you see the images in your head when you read.
When I read something and it says that the story's set in, let's say a small valley in New England, I immediatley imagine where on the map it is and in which direction the valley points. Once I've set up that orientation in my head it usually stays as is and when the text says that a house faces south wich I imagined facing north I'm usually disturbed.
I've talked to friends and some of them experianced the same thing while reading.

My theory now is that this is a phenomenon wich has strengthend in the generations of readers who were raised with video games, wich enhance their 3-dimensional thinking.

What does /lit/ think? Does this happen to yourself? If yes, did you play video games in your youth? Are there already any studies on this?
>>
>>8737159
>playing 'vidya'

Please leave
>>
>>8737159
>phenomenon wich has strengthend in the generations of readers who were raised with video games, wich enhance their 3-dimensional thinking.
Makes a lot of sense OP. Playing vidya would enhance your 3D perception far more than going the fuck outside like they used to do.

Frankly you're completely fucking retarded. You made a baseless theory with no control group based on a hunch that doesn't make any sense. If it triggers you so hard, don't jump to conclusions when you visualize.
>>
>>8737159
>It's about how gaming affects the way you see the images in your head when you read.
hmm OK. sounds interesting.

>When I read something and it says that the story's set in, let's say a small valley in New England, I immediatley imagine where on the map it is and in which direction the valley points.

well, anybody would do this. nothing really strange about that.

>Once I've set up that orientation in my head it usually stays as is and when the text says that a house faces south wich I imagined facing north I'm usually disturbed.

Jesus Christ, OP, how many books have you read?
>>
>>8737168
>who were raised with video games
>past

I mean played when they were kids. Read.
>>
>>8737214
>>8737183

Maybe the original post was badly written and thought trough. I don't mean that it really disturbs me, that's not at all what the post is about. All I was asking is if past generations experienced this less intensley. Think about it, when you play a game, especially a fast-paced ego-perspective shooter, you constantly have to think about where on the map you are and where you want to go.

>going outside is the same or better
Not in this context. Going outside trains your real sense of direction, whereas gaming trains your virtual one.
Not to say that virtual and real sense of orientation aren't connected, they sure are basically two aspects of the same. But my point is that gaming, or for example studying 3-dimensional geometry, trains your 3-dimesnsional imagination. It's not important that it's video games which train this, it's just that lately more people spend their time playing video games than for example 3-dimensional geometry.
>>
>>8737168
Enjoying a different medium is heresy now?
Cant wait to fuck you fiction fuck right off every board now.
>>
>>8737159
Totally.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.