[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /lit/, I was wondering something, what does /lit/ think

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

File: 61H1Vt5PpyL.jpg (69KB, 500x439px) Image search: [Google]
61H1Vt5PpyL.jpg
69KB, 500x439px
Hey /lit/,

I was wondering something, what does /lit/ think of the Harry Potter franchise?

When I was younger I loved the movies when I saw them for the first time, but as I got older I grew a little bit more cynical and stopped liking anything HP related. And now I'm wondering whether I was judging it unfairly to be edgy.

What do ya'll think of it?
>>
>>8737013
I am not emotionally invested in it.
>>
>>8737013

I just reread the first book for shits and giggles, here are some things I noticed:

The setting is actually compelling, I found myself wanting to be at hogwarts while reading. Harry is genuinely a disgusting person in the first book and the author doesn't seem to know it. Tons of plot points are laughably contrived to give Harry the chance to be hero (the snitch is just plain retarded and obviously there so harry can further save the day in quidditch matches as if defeating voldemort isn't enough, the points system for the houses are only there so harry can again save the day for his house... on top of winning the quidditch matches and defeating voldemort, others I can't remember but I took mental note of). The book seemed to be devoid of any insight or moral lesson at all.
>>
>>8737013
I read and enjoyed them as a kid. They weren't my favourite books. The world building was excellent. I didn't like the movies but everything in them looked exactly how I imagine it would.
>>
Any time spent thinking about Harry Potter while you're an adult (or even a growing adolescent) is time wasted.

No matter how you slice it, it's a children's series. Its themes, its writing style, its presentation as a physical book, its character interactions, its imperfectly defined systems, and so on, all consciously tailored for a child's mind. When you get older, you're not supposed to say "it was good" or "it was bad" -- instead, you're supposed to move on from it like you did the overwhelming majority of your childhood things.
>>
I wish they'd stop dragging everything out. I used to feel nostalgic about it, now I'm just disgusted.
>>
>>8737013

The only worthwhile part of the HP franchise is the cute girls in the movies, which the new movie doesn't have and is why it will suck.
>>
>>8737310
>which the new movie doesn't have
WRONG
>>
oh fuck i forgot i have to go see that piece of shit movie tonight with my family
>>
File: 1477255320526.jpg (138KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1477255320526.jpg
138KB, 1920x1080px
>>8737013
K. Rowling, J. A favorite. How freely one breathes in his marvelous labyrinths! Lucidity of thought, purity of poetry. A woman of infinite talent.

* Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone: A divine work of art. Greatest masterpiece of 21th century prose. Towers above the rest of K. Rowling's writing. Noble originality, unique lucidity of thought and style. Molly's monologue is the weakest chapter in the book. Love it for its lucidity and precision.
* Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets: A favorite between the ages of 10 and 15, and thereafter.
* Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban Better than anything any of Wells' contemporaries would produce. Especially good.
* Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire. Some absolutely first-rate fiction.
* Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix. Conventional and drab, redeemed from utter insipidity only by infrequent snatches of heavenly intonations. Detest it.
* Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince. Second-greatest masterpiece of 20th century prose.
* Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. A formidable mediocrity.
>>
>>8737340
>* Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince. Second-greatest masterpiece of 20th century prose.
my niggggar
>>
Do you remember the first inklings of tumblr influence on these books /lit/?

Do you recall the confusion you felt when all discussion started to revolve around shipping and samey depictions of girl idealized pretty-boys in situations that completely missed the theme of the books?

Can you pinpoint when any hope of reasonable popular discourse was drowned out by the collective screeching of ten million fanfiction vomiting adolescent girls?
>>
>>8737346
page after page of excellence. my go-to when i want to reread a HP
>>
>>8737460
It flows better than the other books to me.
I can re read it infinitely.
>>
>>8737013
parents were crazy religious so growing up I never read any books about evil wizards and witches

Watched the movies as a teenager, they were pretty enjoyable

Decided to read the books as an adult. Got about 4 books in, they were nothing special and the more I read them the more I realized how stupid the worldbuilding and writing was. Cool 4 kids but you can't really go back
>>
>>8737013
Not to mention I fucking loathe the fanbase
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.