[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Anybody here study the only truly patrician language? >tfw

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2

File: grecsduroi.jpg (87KB, 736x410px) Image search: [Google]
grecsduroi.jpg
87KB, 736x410px
Anybody here study the only truly patrician language?

>tfw reading the words of Homer bursting out of prehistory like Zeus' thunderclap
>tfw all of these awkward, florid authors in translation become clear concise and masculine
>tfw wishing you had started learning Greek at 10 years old
>reading about the French humanists so greedy for Greek that they more or less taught themselves with dictionaries coming out of Italy
>>
You mean latin, right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOvVWiDsPWQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orzrnEzKbaE

tbqh greek sounds like homosex. Plus there's way more interesting literature to be found in latin.
>>
File: commentariummacrobii.jpg (982KB, 1413x2000px) Image search: [Google]
commentariummacrobii.jpg
982KB, 1413x2000px
>>8735125

The best Latin poets are definitely equal to the best Greeks but Greek prose, especially philosophy, is much more logical to me. There's a reason so few people wrote Latin philosophy before the middle ages.

Latin is so goddamn clumsy, it's like a beat-up old truck. Greek is a rocket ship.

It's hard to explain exactly what I mean, though. The defectiveness of the Latin verb is definitely part of it but only part. I think Greek's broader vocabulary helps too. But there's still something else there that I can't articulate.

You can tell literary Latin is a language of farmer aristocrats. Greek is a language of heroes.

Greek is just clear as glass mang.
>>
>>8735092
>>8735125

I study both, like anyone interested in literature must.
>>
>>8735143
Can you actually explain it linguistically instead of saying meaningless things like
>Latin is a language of farmer aristocrats. Greek is a language of heroes.
As far as I'm informed, greek has more inflection and bloated vocabulary, which makes it the cluttered one
>>
>>8735159

>As far as I'm informed, greek has more inflection and bloated vocabulary, which makes it the cluttered one

No need to be confrontational, friend.

The expansiveness of the Greek verb makes it more difficult to learn at the start but in the end much more dexterous. The future middle participle allows Homer to say

ὁ γὰρ ἦλθε θοὰς ἐπὶ νῆας Ἀχαιῶν
λυσόμενός τε θύγατρα φέρων τ' ἀπερείσι' ἄποινα

λυσόμενος being a future middle participle. Latin would have to use some periphrasis, like "ad filiam solvendam" or "ut filiam solveret", and the middle voice could not be translated because Latin doesn't have one.

That's just a tiny example. Multiplied across the whole verb system, Greek feels much more able.

The Latins themselves recognized this well enough. Cicero talks about it, Lucretius talks about it:

Nec me animi fallit Graiorum obscura reperta
difficile inlustrare Latinis versibus esse,
multa novis verbis praesertim cum sit agendum
propter egestatem linguae et rerum novitatem

Even if they, too, could not quite articulate what they meant, there was a sense in antiquity that Greek was by far the more nimble tongue, whatever can be said for Latin.
>>
Had it in school. Dropped it because I always mixed up Latin and Greek grammar and because my grades weren't good.
Wish I didn't. There is nothing else useful you learn in school.

χαίρε ω διδάσkαλε is about all I remember
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.