[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are your thoughts on Conrad? I tried reading Nostromo and

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

File: joseph-conrad.jpg (69KB, 620x329px) Image search: [Google]
joseph-conrad.jpg
69KB, 620x329px
What are your thoughts on Conrad? I tried reading Nostromo and I just couldn't get through it. something about his sentence structure and language seemed to bore me, or i simply couldnt get into it. Ive tried reading a few of his other short stories and experienced the same thing. But then again im new to reading recreational, and have never been an avid reader.
>>
>>8734926
I haven't read Nostromo myself yet but I read a number of his other works. The Nigger of the Narcissus and the Secret Agent were my favourite

What I can say about is in his work is a criticism and hatred of the then emerging modern world we're still living in which is very relatable and relevant to this day. If you go in expecting a more spirited and compassionate Victorian novel it may explain your reaction.
>>
>>8734947
it was more the sentence structure and type of language that made it difficult to follow. Maybe I'm just a bit slow in the head.
>>
>>8734926
Nostromo is his magnum opus, it's his most dense and convoluted work. You should probably start somewhere else and work towards it to get a feel for his style
>>
>>8734926
A favorite between the ages of 8 and 14. Essentially a writer for very young people. Certainly inferior to Hemingway and Wells. Intolerable souvenir-shop style, romanticist clichés. Nothing I would care to have written myself. In mentality and emotion, hopelessly juvenile. Romantic in the large sense. Slightly bogus.
>>
I made the mistake of reading Heart of Darkness when i was just beginning to get into literature. It bore me to death, couldn´t get it or finish it.
After some time, being considerably more well-read than before, i reead it again. It just clicked. I enjoyed a lot.
Which one of his works should i read?.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.