[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is Smith rarely talked about lately? I know he had some pretty

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2

File: 1479349894333.jpg (69KB, 1080x1035px) Image search: [Google]
1479349894333.jpg
69KB, 1080x1035px
Why is Smith rarely talked about lately? I know he had some pretty uninspiring,rushed stories but aside from that this collection I picked up has been well worth it
>>
>>8732163
He just isn't very well-known unfortunately; at this point even Chambers is a bigger deal
>>
>>8732163
Who?
>>
File: 447px-Clark_Ashton_Smith_1912.jpg (59KB, 447x599px) Image search: [Google]
447px-Clark_Ashton_Smith_1912.jpg
59KB, 447x599px
>>8732219
One of Lovecraft's students and a pretty dank Gothic poet.
>>
>>8732296

he looks cute :3
>>
>>8732163
currenly in the middle of 'The Vaults of Yoh-Vombis'. It reads almost like 'AtMoM' on Mars
He also wrote some really good prose poems, especially 'The Hash-Eater'
>>
I'm reading a couple books of his I found.

Really like his ironically humorous tone.

The prose poem works are really good too, vivid dreamlike imagery.

Good example of the former from "The White Sybil", his version of the "La Belle Dame Sans Merci"/"The Frost Giant's Daughter" trope where a man (in this case a poet) is bewitched by a spectral woman in white.

He learns of her becomes obsessed, ventures in search of her, finds her, confesses his love, is rebuked, persists, she relents, and kisses him, her lips burning a scar onto his face.

Most writers would have left it there, but he is found by peasants from an alpine village, is nursed to health, (his mind weakened), and marries a peasant village girl.

Smith ends his story (9 pages in length) with this sentence:

>For the most part, he was happy in his belief that the Sybil had returned to him; and Illara, in her way, was content, being not the first of mortal women whose lover had remained faithful to a divine illusion.

As you can tell, I really like the guy, and am contemplating dropping the coin on his 5vol complete works.
>>
Smith-kun finally getting recod ~.^
>>
>>8732163
I have the same collection, OP. I'm a big Lovecraft fan, so I was really looking forward to the stories but the poetry surprised me and is actually the best part IMO.

Very enjoyable.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.