[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What does /lit/ think of In Search of Lost Time? I'm about

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: Marcel_Proust_1900-2.jpg (68KB, 215x321px) Image search: [Google]
Marcel_Proust_1900-2.jpg
68KB, 215x321px
What does /lit/ think of In Search of Lost Time?

I'm about 60 pages into Swann's Way and it's very good. I just read the Madeleine bit which was honestly one of the most amazing passages I've ever read, I actually got chills while reading it.

But yeah I want to know if many people here have actually finished the novel and what they thought.
>>
>>8731342
Which translation?
>>
>>8732303
I'll add that I've only read about 40 pgs. of Swann's Way and the prose is beautiful but very long winded. Also, I'm not fluent in french so I'm reading it translated which might take away from the experience. It's gets really hard to follow his train of thought when he writes in this verbose manner (which he does often).
>>
plebs always focus on the madeleine shit because its in the first 100 pages so everyone gets too it even if they give up, and it's banal enough that anyone can relate to it, like who doesn't know tastes and smells can trigger memories, oh shit it looks like proust got TRIGGERED by a pastry...but it really only gets good when you get into swann's love, then you gonna get some new ideas about love and relationships, when i think of swann's way i don't even remember the madeleine thing cuz its so obvious, you don't need to read proust to get that idea
>>
>>8732303
C.K. Scott Moncrief, the original translation though I think the one I got has had extra bits added based on Proust's noted which he didn't have access to or something. Apparently it's extremely close to capturing the spirit of the original, according to a lot of bilinguals.
>>
>>8732330
The childhood bit about Swann's daughter was my favorite in the first volume, so nostalgic and weirdly sad. I'm getting the full edition soon, really psyched about it.
>>
>>8731342
I'm nearly at the end of the penultimate volume. Hang on in there because it really does require patience, but it definitely pays off. Proust's musings on love, life and art are genuinely profound and inspiring.
>>
>>8733251
>proust is worth reading

aren't we all glad that proust wrote on timeless and universal themes instead of being the "voice of his generation"? imagine if In Search Of Lost Time was just 7 volumes of 1910s French slang and snarky commentary about the latest technology trends of 100 years ago,,..ugh.
>>
>>8733547
>snarky commentary about the latest technology trends of 100 years ago
>snarky
>trends

There is one passage about how he was almost moved to tears when he first saw an aeroplane flying. And another on how much more intensely he missed his grandmother, after being apart from her, when he first heard her voice over the telephone.

Sure, it's hardly cutting-edge commentary but it's fascinating reading bits like that and seeing how much times really have changed. Besides, there is a real story in there as well with some of those "universal themes" you were looking for.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.