[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is so much literature so dull and unnecessary? So often

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: Alfred_Naujocks.jpg (101KB, 716x938px) Image search: [Google]
Alfred_Naujocks.jpg
101KB, 716x938px
Why is so much literature so dull and unnecessary?

So often I find myself reading some passage that is only there to sound pretty or link Situation A to Situation B?

It's boring as hell.

>"I sit up straight in my chair. The doctor taps the pen against the desk several times. I feel my heart begin beating harder now. Outside the sound of a bus horn echoes between the buildings. Pigeons scatter from a balcony across the way."

Dude get to the point. Nobody cares. I would much rather the author include a 500 word introduction to their work where they basically say what the novel is about, like "This novel is about how being a good person is difficult but necessary" or "This novel argues that rich people should not be unkind to poor people, but that social and economic structures encouraged them to behave so". You don't see mathematicians writing their theories in the most convoluted way possible. Scientists don't use flowery language to describe some biological process. Like dude, seriously, just get to the point. I'm not spending my entire Saturday reading 500 pages about how you struggle in social situations. There's a way of overcoming that, seriously.
>>
Why the fuck are you reading fiction at all then, degenerate?
>>
Should probably stick to non-fiction, friend.
>>
>>8729998
>>8730000
Some girl in class said I remind her of Martin Eden. She was cute so I asked who that was and she recommended me this book called Martin Eden. Wow, really creative title. Self-titled novel, great. So I read like 100 pages of this thing and had to give up. Like, what is the point? The author is some dead white guy from like a thousand years ago. It just goes on and on about how he wants to be a writer and how he doesn't fit in with rich people since he's a sailor and all. A real blowhard type guy too, not the kind I want to be reading about. There was a fight scene with the main character but the author doesn't even write about it since it happens before the book starts. Like dude, you should friggin *started* with that scene. Jeez. Anyway it's just really boring, I don't understand why people read that stuff. I gave the girl her book back and told her it was great, thanks. She didn't seem to understand that I was joking so she now thinks I'm super into made-up novels, which I'm just not. So we have this day on Thursday and I just know she is going to spend the entire time talking about how great some book was and I'm going to be bored the entire time until I make my move. Just saw that 4chan had a literature blog and wanted to ask why the heck you guys bother to waste your time on stuff you know already. Like what facts do I learn from reading Martin Eden? It's just entertainment and it's not even entertaining. /rant
>>
>>8730020
nice pasta, but i won't save it since you're such a faggot
>>
>>8730027
I don't know what you're talking about and I'm not going to google it to find out.
>>
>>8730033
i could maybe believe you if you wouldn't sage, friend. you have to go deeper.
>>
File: enters_thread_leaves_thread_kek.png (411KB, 1521x1080px) Image search: [Google]
enters_thread_leaves_thread_kek.png
411KB, 1521x1080px
>>
>>8729992

Because a large aspect of the difficulty of the art of writing is to creating and maintaing a sensual setting. And thusly, one of the great values of reading, is the drifting off into an almost real, almost solid, nother world
>>
>>8729992
I.. I thought that was the entire point of literature
>>
you might want to try minimalist literature and flash fiction
>>
go read Hemingway, he is fucking awful but fits your preferences
>>
>>8729992

Man you'd fucking hate Knausgaard
>>
>>8729992
What book is that excerpt from?
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.