[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

An idea came to me recently while reading Thinking Fast and Slow

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

File: socrates.jpg (76KB, 334x250px) Image search: [Google]
socrates.jpg
76KB, 334x250px
An idea came to me recently while reading Thinking Fast and Slow by Daniel Kahneman. TL;DR it's a book about heuristics and cognitive biases in decision making, that sums up over 30 years worth of psychological research. Daniel Kahneman is a famous researcher in that field, and he even won a Nobel prize in economy (there's no Nobel prize in psychology, so us shrinks gotta keep stealing prizes from other fields) for figuring out the precise issues with rational-choice model in economy and correcting it (has mostly to do with loss aversion).

One of the most crucial ideas that the book keeps coming back to over and over again is the two-system model of mind. Kahneman posits that human cognition is governed by two semi-independent systems, System 1 & System 2. System 1 is a fast, automatic, associative "mind" that works on the basis of heuristics (mental shortcuts), and is pretty much always active. This is the system that most people use, for example, when deciding which political candidate to choose - instead of using some algorithm that would take into account policies, consistency of opinion, past behaviour, etc..., they substitute the question of: "who is the better candidate for the position" with: "which candidate do I like more" and then work out that one and use the answer for the first one as well (substitution heuristic). System 2 on the other hand is the rational, logical, step-by-step "mind" that's very lazy and is on average used very rarely. We use System 2 for example when working out advanced mathematical problems (i.e. algebra).

Anyway, the idea that came to me was that keeping Kahneman's two-system model in mind (pardon the pun), the platonic Dialogues can be seen as a struggle between the System 2 and System 1. Socrates is in a way an exemplar of the System 2 - he tries to engage his interlocutors in dialectic, and through it break down every single problem into small individual claims that can be examined, and from there on build up a hierarchy of true claims that will result in a useful true statement. Socrates' interlocutors on the other hand, and especially Sophists, embody in their thinking the System 1 - they are unwilling to engage in dialectic because they find it annoying and tiring (compare the inherent laziness of System 2) and they'd rather engage in behaviour that favours the System 1, such as the oration of long-winded speeches.

What do you think about this?
>>
Duh
>>
Why do you badmouth the sophists?

Socrates probably had autism anyways.
>>
File: poop.jpg (23KB, 604x340px) Image search: [Google]
poop.jpg
23KB, 604x340px
>TL;DR
>wall of text
Aint reading
>>
>>8728114

I saved you the trouble of reading an entire 400 page book, frogposter.
>>
>>8728037
the main problem is the application of system 2 outside of the framework it was constructed in. for example if you are tasked to build a house by yourself, you certainly wouldn't apply a thought framework that deals with an aesthetic of colors while lacking any construction knowledge whatsover. so the task of building a house cannot be tackled from a color aesthetic framework, everyone knows this is bizarre. yet, for some reason system 2 has somehow managed to legitimize itself as a framework for categories it has no business being applied to. and nobody has really called this out for some reason
>>
>>8728037

Who the fuck decided to use the word "heuristics" for mental shortcuts?

Fucking psychologist mega-plebs. Heuristic means trial-and-error. Hey guys, like my new use of an already existing word? I'm not creative enough to invent a new one, so I just made this word mean whatever I wanted. . .
>>
>>8728160

No idea, sorry about that buddy. Tbh there are much worse issues in psychological terminology, i.e. same term might mean different things depending on the area of research.
>>
>>8728154

I don't really understand what you mean, could you maybe elaborate a bit better? The two-system model is related to decision making, don't really see what it means in context of your example.
>>
(you)
>>
>>8728160
"A heuristic technique (/hjᵿˈrJstᵻk/; Ancient Greek: εὑρίσkω, "find" or "discover"), often called simply a heuristic, is any approach to problem solving, learning, or discovery that employs a practical method not guaranteed to be optimal or perfect, but sufficient for the immediate goals."

>System 1 is a fast, automatic, associative "mind" that works on the basis of heuristics, and is pretty much always active
>>
>>8728130
>I saved you the trouble of reading an entire 400 page book
hmmm...let's system 2 that for a sec here...

If I told you the implications, you'd probably an hero
>>
>>8728160
I've only ever heard heuristic used to describe a decision making rule, wtf are you talking about?
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.