[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it just this translation or is everyone in this book supposed

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

File: download.jpg (10KB, 184x275px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
10KB, 184x275px
Is it just this translation or is everyone in this book supposed to come off as a complete spaz?
>>
Is this your first Dostoevsky book?
>>
>from the writer of Notes from Underground, about a true /r9k/ level robot

Yes, anon, they're spazzes. That's what Dostoyevsky was good at writing.
>>
File: Нет.jpg (1MB, 1099x1600px) Image search: [Google]
Нет.jpg
1MB, 1099x1600px
>>8727906

>He read P&V
>>
>>8727919
I read Notes from Underground. That books from what I remember was much less comical.
>>
Every one of his characters fully lives his philosophy and when there is a contradiction within it or there are others with opposing philosophies, it tears them apart until there is some sort of reconciliation, usually in one of his scandal scenes or a death.
>>
>>8727927
T. Someone who hasnt read p&v
>>
>>8727906
Yeah for some reason men are overly affectionate with each other in his books. I think Dostoevsky might have been gay.
>>
>>8728004
You've let the feminists undermine male companionship and affection for you my friend.
>>
Im about to spaz your ass 4 saying that iukwim
>>
>>8727906
No, Dostoevsky's female characters (and some of the males too) are fuckin lunatics.
>>
>>8729148
I mean no, it's not the translation's fault.
>>
>>8727906
how are you liking it? Its on the way to my house in a box but im afraid im just got memed. same for the stranger
>>
>>8727906
currently reading p&v translation. the book is really interesting but the prose feel so cumbersome to read. is that a consequence of the specific translation or is it just really hard to translate dostoevsky?

or is he just a shit prose stylist?
or am i just a pleb?
>>
>>8729168

Dostoevsky was known for being a clunky stylist. So the P&V is actually better than the Garnett.

But it's not so bad. I think english speakers resent certain style more than other nationality because their idea of good prose is very conservative. In the sense that there are very few good models, a few tropes get always recycled, and it is taught in school in a very stern way (in Italy, Germany, France and Russia, where I have studied, your much more free to use your personal style in school essays and journalism).

So it's already bad, and probably your sensibility is made more acute by the strangeness of it (due to the translatng process of p&v that keeps the prose exotic)
>>
being a total autist about p and v is my favourite meme
>>
>>8729156
It's really fascinating and deeper than probably anything I've ever read. Very surreal, the characters interact and think in passion overdrive at all times.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.