[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>David Foster Wallace: Puffed up, ephemeral. Dislike him immensely.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: vladimir-nabokov.jpg (13KB, 272x340px) Image search: [Google]
vladimir-nabokov.jpg
13KB, 272x340px
>David Foster Wallace: Puffed up, ephemeral. Dislike him immensely. Fakes realism with easy platitudes. A total fake. A venerable fraud.
>Thomas Pynchon: Second-rate. Certainly not a genius. To consider Gravity's Rainbow a m
>Zizek: Loathe him.
>Houellebecq: Crude and vulgar. Second-rate. Nobody takes his reactionary moralising seriously.
>Bolaño: Talent, but not genius. Romantic in the large sense. Slightly bogus.
>Cormac McCarthy: A writer of corncobby tales. A nonentity. Means absolutely nothing to me.
>Murakami: A genius.
>Knausgård: A nonentity.
>Phillip Roth: A formidable mediocrity.
>Vollmann: Melodramatic, second-rate.
>Gaddis: Read Recognitions. Detest it. A cancerous growth of fancy word-tissue.
>J.K. Rowling: Have always been fond of her. The greatest children's story writer of all time.
>John Green: A favorite between the ages of 10 and 15, and thereafter. A great artist, my favorite writer when I was a boy. His sociological cogitations can be safely ignored, but his romances and fantasies are superb. A far greater artist than Wallace. A writer for whom I have the deepest admiration.
>>
>>8726550
Anon, what sort of cancer is this?
>>
>>8726550
Ryu or Haruki?
>>
>>8726558
Haruki
>>
>>8726550
Who are you and what have you done with the Nabokov critique guy with excellent taste?
>>
>>8726550
>Thomas Pynchon: Second-rate. Certainly not a genius. To consider Gravity's Rainbow a m

Anon you can't even copypasta the hell?
>>
Roth is the sort of writer Nabokov would have really liked actually
>>
>>8726550
>Wallace
>Dislike him immensely
>On board whom enjoys Wallace
>edgy b8 m8
>>
>>8726550
>Gerke: Is that the case with David Foster Wallace too?

>Gass: He had great abilities. And I think he needed to tame them. I think he was so good that he should’ve wanted to be better. And he wrote some things that are going to stay around. And I wish he had stayed around and done that. He had lots of smarts too. He was unlike a lot of writers who are sort of dumb, theoretically speaking. Stanley was street-smart but intellectually? Awful. But he didn’t need to be. Pynchon’s a case. I have tried to read Pynchon with no success so far, but then I can’t read Whitman—I try. So we just have blank spots. We can’t like everything, and I don’t see any rule for it. Why should you love every woman that walks by?

>>8726652
OP is quoting Nabokov from his book Strong Opinions which is just Nabokov ranting and raving about various novelists throughout history. But instead of OP using the actual authors Nabokov is talking about, he is mapping the criticisms on to 4chan memes.
>>
>>8726550
i thought this was supposed to be a "review books like nabokov"-thread
dissapointed.
>>
>>8726652
he's memeing, but wallace is not at all universally liked on this board, if that's what you're implying.
>>
lel
>>
File: jorge borges.jpg (9KB, 195x258px) Image search: [Google]
jorge borges.jpg
9KB, 195x258px
>>8726550
>tfw
too smart for wasting time in judging people
>>
>>8726680
who is Stanley?
>>
>>8726802
Probably Stanley Elkin
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.