[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Any students of linguistics here? It's really busting

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2

Any students of linguistics here?

It's really busting my ass (Pic Related).
>>
???
>>
>>8725216
Linguistics minor

When does this baby shit get hard?
>>
>>8725216
yes? just a freshman tho
>>8725629
it doesn't. the hard part is research itself, field research especially. but of course, you CAN go for easy research too
>>
>>8725216
Nah, but I enjoy thinking about phonology.

I've also studied some German, French, Latin, Greek, and Sanskrit. Latin being the strongest of the bunch.
>>
>>8725216
I have always liked this painting – it being dark and scary and memorable. One in Goya’s series of “Black Paintings,” it was part of a secretive and haunted segment of Goya’s life. The dark image is of a giant – some sort of titan or god consuming a human. The giant’s eyes are wide and insane, making eerie eye contact with the viewer – as if frozen after being caught in his horrendous act. His hair is disheveled, and he is naked and dirty. The giant’s grip on the human is crushing, even though his prey is decapitated, and obviously unable to get away. He reminds me of a wild animal – a mix of a deer in the headlights, and an aggressive dog with a bone. I imagine his next move to drop the body, and reach out to grab me.
>>
>>8726991
The titan is Saturn
>>
>>8725216
Snow Crash (Neal Stephenson) had a super cool viral-lingo component. Highly recommend that book.
>>
>>8726993
Yeah, we think. I don't believe Goya's Black Series were named.
While alive, only the portraits and religious paintings (works commissioned by nobility or the church) of Goya were known. However, hidden within his home was a plethora of other pieces – dark, troubled works which were discovered after his death. Saturn Devouring His Son is one of those pieces. Found painted directly on the walls, it was left without explanation, title or context. The sheer number of horrific images discovered after his death suggests that his darker works were to clear his conscious. The lack of information left behind combined with the pieces being withheld from the public leads me to believe these paintings were highly personal. Their troubling content screams of a tortured soul.
>>
>>8725216
Not in school, but I've been reading a lot about semiotics recently.
>>
>>8725216
I wanted to study linguistics, but I opted to go to community college and get an associates first. Now I can't really continue and I'm about two semesters short of my associates.

In all the time that has past, I have gained a lot of doubts about majoring in it. But the subject is still fascinating to me.
>>
>>8727035
>In all the time that has past, I have gained a lot of doubts about majoring in it. But the subject is still fascinating to me.
Same, my friend. I don't think I'll continue, though.
>>
File: Screenshot_2.png (72KB, 638x761px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2.png
72KB, 638x761px
can any of you see what causes the -gan allomorph to occur? or am i looking at it from a completely wrong angle?
>>
>>8725216
I've had some issues with it in the past, but only because I was unwilling to spend much time studying.
>>
What are some good linguistics books/textbooks you guys could recommend? Looking into doing some studying on my own
>>
>>8727468
-gan is used in vowel-final stems with /e/
>>
>>8727468
Neutral nouns?
>>
>>8726995
Snow Crash: "'Not all languages are the same... Some languages are better at metaphor than others. Hebrew, Aramaic, Greek and Chinese lend themselves to wordplay and have achieved a lasting grip on reality; ... by contrast, other civilizations seem "speechless" or at least, as may have been the case in Egypt, not entirely cognizant of the creative and transformational powers of language.' Lagos believed that Sumerian was an extroidanarly powerful language - at least it was in Sumer five thousand years ago. 'A launguage that lent itself to Enki's neuroliguistic hacking.'"

...It goes into the Tongue of Eden and all sorts of mythology,computer language... it's not academic, but certainly smart.
>>
>>8725216

Does anyone know if you can get a masters in linguistics if you have a ba in english? It seems like I'd have better career options that way but I don't have access to a bachelors in linguistics
>>
>>8726991

no kidding, anon: you know how to tell a story.

>>8728092

Other than as a particular policy within your university program, I can't see any reason why you wouldn't be able to.

>>8725629

this is a good point:

>>8725838

Depends too on the kind of emphasis you place on its different branches: morphology, semantics, etc.
>>
oh and, thanks anons for the offered assistance, but I was able to get a grip on myself in time to understand this crap a little better.
>>
>>8727784
>maleke
>valede
>kabire
they too end with /e/ and they get -an
>>8728042
i too thought of that, but i am supposed to work on only the data given to me. i can't outside knowledge to the rule i am going to produce
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.