[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Quote thread. Post favorite quotes you've picked up from

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: 220px-TheActsOfKingArthur.jpg (30KB, 220x345px) Image search: [Google]
220px-TheActsOfKingArthur.jpg
30KB, 220x345px
Quote thread.

Post favorite quotes you've picked up from your reading. Whether you like it for the message, the way it's written, whatever. Also give source.

Here's the most recent one I came across that stood out to me:

"Some are destroyed by defeat, and some made small and mean by victory. Greatness lives in one who triumphs equally over defeat and victory."
From pic related.
>>
>>8724738
>>8724738
>>8724738
“My imagination will get me a passport to hell one day.”
>>
>>8724738
Henderson the Rain King: "It is all a matter of having a desirable model in the cortex. For the noble self-conception is everything. For as conception is, so the fellow is. Put differently, you are in the flesh as your soul is. And in the manner described a fellow really is the artist of himself."

"And Reality... me? I love the old bitch just the way she is and I like to think I am always prepared for even the very worst she has to show me. I am a true adorer of life and if I can't reach as high as the face of it, I plant my kiss somewhere lower down."
>>
Poe's Philosophy of Composition

"Of the innumerable effects, or impressions, of which the heart, the intellect, or more generally the soul is susceptible, what one shall I, on the present occasion, select?"

Letters to a Young Poet

"For the creator there is no poverty and no poor or unimportant place."

"All feelings are pure which gather you and lift you up; a feeling is impure which takes hold of only one side of your being and so distorts you."

Dubliners

"He came to speak to the business men and he would speak to them in a businesslike way. If he might use the metaphor, he said, he was their spiritual accountant; and he wished each and every one of his hearers to open his books, the books of his spiritual life, and see if they tallied accurately with conscience."

Sons (the good earth trilogy)

"Nor did he like the old tales, but he read most ardently the newly written tales of love that is free between man and maid, and he dreamed of well-born maidens who were not courtesans and yet were not shy and timid before men, but like men are with men except they be maids still. Yet he knew not one, for as yet such freedom was more in books than in truth."

Anne of Green Gables

"You'd find it easier to be bad than good if you had red hair,' said Anne reproachfully. 'People who haven't red hair don't know what trouble is. Mrs. Thomas told me that God made my hair red on purpose, and I've never cared about Him since."

Short stories of Mark Twain

"He was a man of unsteady habits, and gave way to violent fits of passion. The girl declined his addresses, and he said if he did not have her no one else should. After he had inflicted the first wound, which was not immediately fatal, she begged for her life, but seeing him resolved, asked for time to pray. He said that he would pray for both, and completed the crime."

"All things change except barbers, the ways of barbers, and the surroundings of barbers."

Virginia Woolf essays

"He was one of those ambiguous characters who haunt the boundary line
where one age merges in another and are not able to inhabit either.

"Here then, in spite of all contradictions and all qualifications, is something definite. These essays are an attempt to communicate a soul. On this point at least he is explicit. It is not fame that he wants; it is not that men shall quote him in years to come; he is setting up no statue in the market-place; he wishes only to communicate his soul."
>>
The Rock Garden: "War is a terrible thing... but effective. It accelerates the course of things, it mobilizes the great virtues, it can transform the wretched little bourgeois into a hero..."

"The ultimate most holy form of theory is action. Not to look on passively while the spark leaps from generation to generation, but to leap and burn with it!"
>>
"So neer grows Death to Life, what ere Death is"
-Paradise Lost
>>
The General (Forrester): " In some ways it was like the debate of a group of savages as to how to extract a screw from a piece of wood. Accustomed only to nails, they had made one effort to pull out the screw by main force, and now that it had failed they were devising methods of applying more force still, of obtaining more efficient pincers, of using levers and fulcrums so that more men could bring their strength to bear. They could hardly be blamed for not guessing that by rotating the screw it would come out after the exertion of far less effort; it would be a notion so different from anything they had ever encountered that they would laugh at the man who suggested it."
>>
"It was then that man stood up and looked about him and lived."

H.G. Wells, A Short History of the World
>>
>>8724738
"It is the young who have the real knowledge, age that has the real power, mollified only by what they have forgotten" (From False Entry)
also "values are the momentary clotting of alternatives."
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.