[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I just want to sit and read an entire book of fantastic, beautiful,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

File: 38b8abab7dc4978058cd20a30cf72a79.jpg (210KB, 1600x1000px) Image search: [Google]
38b8abab7dc4978058cd20a30cf72a79.jpg
210KB, 1600x1000px
I just want to sit and read an entire book of fantastic, beautiful, mesmerizing scenery descriptions. Are there any books that are just orgies of purple-prose sensory imagery? Little to no plot. Absolute MAXIMUM comfy.
>>
>>8724315
Gormenghast
>>
>>8724318
Just purchased the entire trilogy. I'd better be good, anon.
>>
>>8724315
Invisible Cities m9
>>
>>8724315

The first half of Molloy doesn't really have any plot and the prose was honestly senpai pretty good and it was comfy just reading as he just fucked around in the countryside.
>>
>>8724315
>orgies of purple prose sensory imagery

Proust's Remembrance of Things Past, of course. There's more descriptions of people and interior feelings and mental states than there are of scenery, though.
>>
>>8724327
I loved it. If you really like description you'll have a blast
>>
To the Lighthouse.
Idk if it's comfy, but It has some of the most beautiful descriptions/imagery and very minimal plot.
>>
blood meridian
>>
>>8725315
unironically this
>>8724685
and this

Also read some Keats
>>
Is there a particular type of scenery you're looking for? Good Western novels are great at describing the surrounding landscape to the point where it almost becomes one of the characters. Butcher's Crossing, McMurtry's novels, McCarthy's Westerns
>>
File: 1392159272830.jpg (63KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1392159272830.jpg
63KB, 500x500px
>>8725341
Ideally, I want to read a book where the entire text is just some guy walking around the world as the author describes everything in gorgeous, fantastical detail. I don't even want to have to pay attention. I want to be able to open it up at any point and just enjoy a comfy perspective into the beautiful mind of a master wordsmith.

Something like Ray Bradbury's purple descriptions, but a whole book of it. Some parts of Moby Dick were like this, like the part where they're squeezing the spermaceti and Ishmael painstakingly describes how wonderfully it feels between his fingers as he crushes the creamy parts.
>>
File: 1406672078129.jpg (302KB, 1048x1176px) Image search: [Google]
1406672078129.jpg
302KB, 1048x1176px
>>8724315
>>8724721
Do it faggot

I hated it after the first volume but you might love it. The Overture is just
>>
>>8725435
That's gormenghast. Character walks into a room, you get a lovely description of every stone in the wall, every piece of moss on that stone, and the accompanying ritual
>>
East of Eden does have a plot but what I've heard is that Steinbeck's whole goal with it was to describe the Salinas Valley he lived in to his children as beautifully as possible. He was afraid it would be different by the time they grew up. The plot it does have is a saccharine-sweet coming of age story that IS maximum comfy, though, so maybe you'll like it anyway.
>>
>>8725435
Check out Robert Walser
>>
>>8725596
>Walser
Yes. Read The Walk.
>>8725435
>>8724315
Mervyn Peake and Proust are great suggestions too. Try the prose poems of Clark Ashton Smith. Also the short prose of Bruno Schulz and À rebours by Huysmans.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.