[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm about halfway through this book. I'm really liking

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

File: 0192833839.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg (32KB, 306x475px) Image search: [Google]
0192833839.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg
32KB, 306x475px
I'm about halfway through this book. I'm really liking it and it might become one of my favorites, but there is a certain element i'm unclear on.

At the beginning of the book the narrator says that Rodya is afraid of talking to his landlady, but later on the same narrator describes the landlady as shy and not prone to conversation.

If this were first person it could be easily chalked up to an unreliable narrator, but since it is in third person it becomes much more complicated. Should I ignore it and move on? Are there more inconsistencies? Does it have something to do with the Russian language? Is it simply a mistake?

Anyways Crime and Punishment thread
>>
>>8723769

Person B is shy and not prone to conversation

Person A is afraid to talk to person B

No contradiction detected

Person A does not necessarily know person B is shy and not prone to conversation, nor does it say person B does not engage in any conversation at all
>>
>>8723769
I'm not seeing a contradiction here
>>
>>8723769
>Library anon develops crush on library gurl
>Library gurl super shy
>Anon too shy to confess to her
You follow?
>>
>>8723861
>>8723863
>>8723918
Oh wow i'm retarded and I overanalyzed everything. The first page was Rodya's thoughts paraphrased by the author.

Sorry about that. What should I read after Crime and Punishment in terms of Dostoevsky by the way? Been thinking about Notes From the Undeground
>>
>>8723769
I don't recall him being afraid so much as he hates the thought of having to interact with her and make up another lie about the rent.
That feeling has nothing to do with the landlady's disposition, so there's no contradiction.
>>
There's always some noob posting about Dostoevsky every day on here. Don't you realize how basic you are?
>>
>>8723971
Maybe you're the basic one for expecting more from a bunch of undergrads on 4chan?
>>
>>8723977
>expecting more

50centlaughing.gif
>>
>>8723971
so, you're mad that dostoevsky is beloved, and you lash out at those discussing his greatness. you must be a real pleb.
>>
>>8724012
There's a place called Reddit for newfags like you. Out.
>>
rodia is an autist. keep reading. the middle is slow but then it picks up significantly at the end.
>>
>>8723957
Notes if you want more insight about Rosa's philosophy.
The Idiot or Demons for more philosophy and examination, but less dramatic and heart-rending religious themes.
Bros K if you just want to jump straight to the top.
>>
>>8723769
Rodya is tormented by that edgelord philosophy of his, and it has made him depressed and stressed out.

Btw what is up with all the gay shit in Dostoevsky's books? Why do grown men constantly grope and kiss each other? And why does everything they say always end in an exclamation point? Were people in pre-communist Russia all flamboyant homosexuals?
>>
File: 4SUY19w.jpg (38KB, 500x490px) Image search: [Google]
4SUY19w.jpg
38KB, 500x490px
>>8725553
No homo
>>
>>8723957

The other anon that replied to you is correct. I wouldn't recommend going straight to The Brothers Karamazov after Crime and Punishment, however. It's the culmination of his life's work and I think you would appreciate it all the more if you had read at least his major novels prior to it. Read Notes right after Crime and Punishment because it'll help you understand C&P. After that read Demons because it's less connected to The Brothers Karamazov. Be warned that Demons is unlike anything you would have read up to this point; it's far more politically oriented. After that, read The Idiot, and finally The Brothers Karamazov. You might also benefit from Netochka Nezvanova to see where he's coming from.
>>
>>8726720
Take that lewd shit out of here.
>>
>>8724029
You were a newfag once, bitch.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.